Remixvideo Problems

Discuss technical issues with the community. Mixvibes staff provides no support on this board.
Forum rules
Click here to join MIxvibes on DISCORD https://discord.gg/gMdQJ2cJqa

Remixvideo Problems

Postby Roger64 on 31 Mar 2018, 15:24

I have Remixvideo
It works as a stand-alone with APC40, but I am having difficulty using it as a VST in Ableton 9.7.5
I want to load Remixvideo onto track 1 in Ableton as a VST, then use a controller(APC40, Launchpad Pro or use Launch Control in some way) to control Remixvideo, then control the rest of Ableton with Launchpad Pro in session view. I then presume I should be able to “Jam” in session view with music and videos as per usual.
Am I just dreaming, or is this possible?
Please help
Roger
Roger64

Re: Remixvideo Problems

Postby Team@Mixvibes on 01 Apr 2018, 05:10

Hi Roger,

Sorry you have been having trouble getting Remixvideo set up with a controller in Ableton.

I think the best option you have is to use the APC40 for control of Remixvideo and the Launchpad Pro/Launch Control to control Ableton.

Mainly because there is a default map for the APC40 but not one for the Launchpad Pro or Launch Control (there is one for the Launchpad MK2 but I am not sure if it would work 100% with a Pro).

Here's how you can set up Remixvideo in Ableton with your APC40 as a controller.

First make sure that you disable the APC40 as a Ableton Control Surface but have the Remote and Track settings enabled still, like I do for my MIXTOUR here:
Screen Shot 2018-03-31 at 7.33.37 PM.png

Then create two MIDI tracks and put Remixvideo on the first. Set up both tracks input and output like this and in the highlighted boxes select your APC40:
Screen Shot 2018-03-31 at 7.31.15 PM.png

The second track can remain empty and is for MIDI feedback from Remixvideo to your APC40. Unfortunately since I don't have the APC40 here at the moment I can't test it but this should work.

Next go to the preferences in Remixvideo by selecting the dropdown menu in the top left. Move to the MIDI page and select the APC 40 Mapping:
Screen Shot 2018-03-31 at 6.46.25 PM.png

Now everything should be set up so you can use the APC40 to control the VST of Remixvideo. Be sure to have the Remixvideo track armed to record and that playback in Ableton is started, or else you will not see any feedback from the APC40 into Remixvideo.

Let me know if you can't get things working and I can test things more, I was able to get my controller working for input but I didn't test for LED feedback yet.

Adam @Mixvibes
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
For support requests, you can check out the FAQ and reach our support staff at this page.
Thank You!
Team@MixVibes gives no support on the forums including via PM
Team@Mixvibes

Postby Roger64 on 03 Apr 2018, 03:33

Hi Adam,

I sent a similar question to the generic “support” email before I knew you had contacted me on the Forum, and I apologise for any duplication.

Many thanks for your response. I have followed/carried out your instructions.
In the APC40 (VST) column 1 , pads 1-5 (top to bottom) work, but when you press the pads in the other columns it plays the pads in column 1. Row 6 does not work at all.

Just to point out that the pads in row 6 across all the columns in the stand alone version of RemixVideo do not work either.

There is no light feedback in the VST version of RemixVideo. In the stand-alone version the pads are solid green, flashing amber and solid red.

The MIDI Learn function does not appear to work correctly and it’s behaviour appears to be random. I programme a pad in MIDI Learn by clicking on it with my mouse, the pad lights up and plays, then I push the pad and this works OK and takes over control, but then I carry on in this way and suddenly after I have clicked a pad with mouse, I push the relevant pad and a completely random pad starts up, and it programmes that pad. The wrong one!

This behaviour seems to limit itself to the pads. It happens on the Akai APC40 and Akai MPK49. Other MIDI Learn features of both of these work perfectly first time: that is sliders, knobs and buttons.

Just to point out a massive positive here: I CAN RECORD MIDI IN SESSION VIEW IN ABLETON!

Once again many thanks for your help so far

Roger
Roger64

Postby Team@Mixvibes on 07 Apr 2018, 19:38

Hi Roger,

Thanks for letting me know about the APC40 mapping bug, I brought it up with the team and hopefully they can take a look at it since it should be a quick fix.

Glad you were able to get things somewhat up an running! I think the buggy behavior for pads might have something to do with the default VST mapping that is generated and in some but not all cases, automatically selected when you open Remixvideo as a plug-in.

So you might have to check and make sure the correct map is selected everytime you load Remixvideo as a plug in (I tested and have had it change back to the default plugin once, but the last three times it kept my selected map highlighted)

If that isn't the case I will have to look into things more. I am not 100% sure but the default VST mapping is most likely designed to work with the Launchpad MK2's USER 2 mode (not sure if the pro has a similar mode but if it does you might try using that with the default VST mapping and have more success).

If it does work you should be able to set things up as described in the FAQ:
"- Jam audio and video samples
The first way to use it is to jam audio and video samples in the session view of Ableton Live.
1. Create clips by dragging audio files from the browser into open slots. You can now launch them from your controller’s session view.
2. Now, go back to your MIDI track and select USER 2 on your controller to launch video clips from Remixvideo.
- Record & Edit a sequence
1. Switch to the arrangement view.
2. In the first MIDI track where you have assigned Remixvideo, select 2-MIDI as input type.

The input channel will be set to Post Mixer by default, keep it that way.

3. On the second MIDI track, assign Remixvideo for both input type and input channel.
4. To record a MIDI track, arm arrangement recording on the second track, press record and click on the first track to open the VST.

You are now recording a MIDI track using Remixvideo.
Before stopping the recording, make sure you have turned off all the pads on Remixvideo.

Once you are done recording, arm arrangement recording on the first track and press play, you can now play and visualize your MIDI track.
To edit the MIDI track :

1. Double click on the MIDI clip to open the MIDI note editor.
2. Click on Fold to hide all rows or key tracks that do not contain any MIDI notes.

Now you can edit your MIDI track as you would normally do. Change the notes’ length, position, create new notes or delete existing ones etc...

- Launch MIDI clips from the session view
1. Open the arrangement view
2. Record a sequence or a note per track
3. Go back to the session view
4. Set your launchpad to session view
You can now trigger Remixvideo pads as MIDI clips from the session view."

Regards,
Adam @Mixvibes
For support requests, you can check out the FAQ and reach our support staff at this page.
Thank You!
Team@MixVibes gives no support on the forums including via PM
Team@Mixvibes

Return to Community Support