NI S4 Controller

Discuss technical issues with the community. Mixvibes staff provides no support on this board.
Forum rules
Click here to join MIxvibes on DISCORD https://discord.gg/gMdQJ2cJqa

NI S4 Controller

Postby radioViki on 23 Jan 2017, 00:17

Hi Guys,
If I want to use the NI S4 controller, then do I have to follow this procedure? The related file can not find in the cross-forum!

Installation guide:
1.Go on the MixVibes forum and download the ZIP file of the Native Instruments Control S4
Here: downloads.php?cat=61
2.Unzip this file. This folder shoud content the mapping Native Instruments Kontrol
S4.mappings, its mapping documentation Native Instruments Control S4.pdf and the
Configuration file Native Instruments Control S4 - MixVibes CrossDJ Configuration.ncc.
3.Launch the Native Instruments Control Editor software.

Where is the file to be found?
Mac-Pro 3.1, 16 GByte, Cross 3.x / Behringer DDM4000
NI F1_2x, NI X1-MK2_1x, NI Maschine MKI, Presonus Fire,

hilsen fra norge radioViki ( George )
radioViki

Re: NI S4 Controller

Postby RoJeC on 23 Jan 2017, 10:31

The controllermapping is present in Cross. The deafault mappings you can't find in Cross. However if you make a copy you can edit that version as the copy is stored in the local user profile.
Ronald

Manual alternative link: ? https://www.mixvibes.com/wp-content/uploads/2017/10/cross-dj-user-manual.pdf
Audio dropouts? Increase audio 'buffer size' value.
FAQ iOS / Android / PC / MAC http://www.mixvibes.com/help/
Soundcard not available/working? Try the 32bit version of Cross (is also installed).
RoJeC

Postby radioViki on 23 Jan 2017, 13:05

Hello RoJec,
thanks for the answer.
The controller is not yet delivered, I wanted to inform myself only before.
Does the S4 have to be edited with the controller-editor before use in Cross?

Thanks a lot

radioViki

Postby RoJeC on 23 Jan 2017, 15:53

Never used it.. But as it is a supported one it is supposed to work as is.
So no need for the editor unless you want to change to your will.
Ronald

Manual alternative link: ? https://www.mixvibes.com/wp-content/uploads/2017/10/cross-dj-user-manual.pdf
Audio dropouts? Increase audio 'buffer size' value.
FAQ iOS / Android / PC / MAC http://www.mixvibes.com/help/
Soundcard not available/working? Try the 32bit version of Cross (is also installed).
RoJeC

Postby radioViki on 23 Jan 2017, 19:04

thx RoJec

radioViki

Postby JAMIELLOYDSTER on 15 Sep 2017, 12:47

Hi radioViki. Did the s4 work plug and play with just the NI drivers and Cross or did you have to do something with traktor first? Thanks in advance
JAMIELLOYDSTER

Postby Team@Mixvibes on 16 Sep 2017, 23:25

No need to use Traktor. You do however have to use the NI Controller Editor to load the "Native Instruments Kontrol S4 - MixVibes CrossDJ Configuration.ncc".

It can be found in the .zip file along with PDF instructions available here: http://forum.mixvibes.com/downloads.php?view=detail&df_id=734

By default the S4 is not plug and play with Cross. I think this is due to it using HID commands with Traktor. Loading the .ncc file will configure the S4 to work in Cross with the included .mappings file.

Best Regards,
Adam @Mixvibes
For support requests, you can check out the FAQ and reach our support staff at this page.
Thank You!
Team@MixVibes gives no support on the forums including via PM
Team@Mixvibes

Postby JAMIELLOYDSTER on 21 Sep 2017, 15:29

Great, Thanks! That's exactly the answer I was looking for. I have another question now. I'm assuming the control to feed the phono signal through is software as there is no switch on the S4. I appreciate I would need to upgrade to Cross for DVS but could I still use the S4 in 4 channel mode with 2 tt's playing vinyl in thru mode and two MIDI channels? How is this handled in Mixvibes. If this works then I'm sure the DVS upgrade will work for 4 channels, 2 x tt's with timecode and 2 MIDI channels on the conrtroller. I realise I'm digitising my analog vinly signal but I'm not overly concerened as I'm not a full on Audiophile an it's for home use really. My main goal is more than two channels using DVS hopefully vinyl as well, giving me full flexibilty. This is the deals breaker between a used S4 and a used Denon MC6000. The S4 has a better layout and more VU meters but the MC6000 is also a stand alone (digital) mixer. Sorry for the essay.

Thanks in advance.

Jamie
JAMIELLOYDSTER

Postby Team@Mixvibes on 23 Sep 2017, 01:55

Hi Jamie,

I beleive the S4 does have line/phono switches on the back by the 1/2 and 3/4 inputs. You can connect your turntables with Cross timecode to these inputs and then set them up in Cross's audio preferences.

There is even a MIDI mappable audio thru option in Cross, so you can play your normal vinyl through Cross.

DVS only works on decks A and B, so then you could use the S4 to control decks C and D.

Right now there is no new Cross timecode available and I don't know of any plans to make more, but you might be able to find some through eBay or other similar sites.

I hope this helps.

Best regards,
Adam @Mixvibes
For support requests, you can check out the FAQ and reach our support staff at this page.
Thank You!
Team@MixVibes gives no support on the forums including via PM
Team@Mixvibes

Postby JAMIELLOYDSTER on 26 Sep 2017, 12:33

Thanks Adam, that's brilliant. All answered perfectly. Now to decide between the Denon and NI. Oh and convince my wife I need one! LOL
JAMIELLOYDSTER

Return to Community Support