Going mental trying to sort this out...

Discuss technical issues with the community. Mixvibes staff provides no support on this board.
Forum rules
Click here to join MIxvibes on DISCORD https://discord.gg/gMdQJ2cJqa

Going mental trying to sort this out...

Postby Deazo on 30 Dec 2016, 19:07

Hi all,
I am finally posting my issue here after spending hours to try to fix this myself.
I am using Mixvibes DVS and U46MK2, a pack I bought second hand recently.
All is pristine, the pack was actually never used.

ALL I want is the ability to play my timecode vinyls. I did setup properly the turntables (technics SL-1200mk2) and plugged them in the 1/2 and 3/4 inputs of the soundcard.
The 1/2 and 3/4 outputs are properly plugged into my mixer Line 1 and 2 (an old gemini scratch mixer).
Both switches on the soundcard are set to "phono".
I have an i5 laptop with 8G of RAM.

My issue is that I cannot get the mixvibes software to receive the timecode signal, it stays at 0%. NOTHING comes through.
If I switch the Monitoring on on the soundcard panel, I hear the timecode on my speakers though.

I tried the following with no success:
- Latest update of Mixvibes DVS
- Switched drivers MANY times, from the "official ones" to the ESI ones (several versions) as well as Asio4All.
- Went into the audio settings of my comp, making this and that default playback devices etc.
- Played with ALL levels (preamps, etc.)
- reversed L/R
- reversed Phase
- Checked cables
- Checked cell (Shure m44) with normal vinyl.

HINT:
I cannot get any sound from laptop softwares e.g. youtube videos through to the soundcard.
(why the hell can I however monitor and hear the timecode sound through my mixer??)

I think I covered everything, you will find below my config file (I had disabled turntable1 to concentrate on one, but the problem is the same for both turntables).

PLEASE HELP

Config 2016/12/30 17:55

OS= Service Pack 1 build=7601 processor=PROCESSOR_IDENTIFIER=Intel64 Family 6 Model 61 Stepping 4, GenuineIntel
MixVibes DVS version=7.218 DLL langage=US version=7.210

System Setting
--------------------
Load in Ram Channel1= Yes Channel2= Yes
Load memory time limit=13 Load time=normal
Low gui priority=No Equalization bypass=No
MultiInstance=No

General Setting
--------------------
Nb Mixer Channels=2 Nb Samples=16
Windows Caption=No Theme=3
TAG V1=Yes TAG V2=No

Mix Setting
--------------------
AutoCue=Yes AutoGain=Yes AutoBpm at Load=Yes
Display Pitch=Yes Auto Match at load=No
Bpm Range min=78 max=150
Loop in bar boundaries=Yes Security=No History=Yes
Compressor=No Limiter=No

Sound Configuration
--------------------
Nb Sound=2 Nb Mixer=0
Managment Type ASIO
Device=ASIO4ALL v2 AsioVersion=0 DriverVersion=2
Latency=12 Driver sampling=44100 Nb Input=4 Nb Output=6
Managment Type ASIO
1-U46DJ 1 2-U46DJ 2
3-U46DJ 3 4-U46DJ 4

Vinyl Configuration
--------------------
Vinyl 1 not connected
Vinyl2 connected=vinyl version 2
Audio=ASIO source=2:U46DJ 3-U46DJ 4
Mode=absolute
Riaa=Yes Preamp Left=0 db Preamp Right=0 db Noise Filter=0 Hz
45T=No InverseLR=No PhaseInv=No
Decalage=0 ms Time limit=720000 ms
Silence seuil=-40.000 db SNR=40 db

Config Bypass Riaa=No Preamp=0 db Noise Filter=0 Hz Input Latency=0 ms

Vinyl Stats (turntable pitch set to 0 play at normal way)
Time code percent=0.500 Volume max left=0.000 Volume max right=0.000 Volume optimum=0.370
Speed Average(100ms)=0.000 Speed Average(1s)=0.000 Speed Average(3s)=0.000

config.txt
Displaying config.txt.
Deazo

Re: Going mental trying to sort this out...

Postby RoJeC on 31 Dec 2016, 00:43

Support for Mixvibes DVS stopped appx 6 years ago. So if you're using a current OS it will be luck if you get it to work.

Cross replaces this software. It may be a good step to use the Cross Demo version to verify that the hardware can work with DVS.

It may be that someone with MixVibes DVS knowledge can help you, but these are becommong scarce.

From your description I do not see that you have setup audio in DVS, just in the sound card part. (in Cross these are seperate tabs in the preferences). No idea if this may be of help, or that it was designed different.
Ronald

Manual alternative link: ? https://www.mixvibes.com/wp-content/uploads/2017/10/cross-dj-user-manual.pdf
Audio dropouts? Increase audio 'buffer size' value.
FAQ iOS / Android / PC / MAC http://www.mixvibes.com/help/
Soundcard not available/working? Try the 32bit version of Cross (is also installed).
RoJeC

Postby Deazo on 31 Dec 2016, 16:08

OK thanks for the answer.
I am testing this with Cross demo and getting the same issue...
Deazo

Postby RoJeC on 31 Dec 2016, 18:59

Monitoring sends input direct to the output, inside the sc. So it shows you get input.

Playing with levels is OK as long as you use phono as a source. However using line as input where the sc is set to phono may cause permanent damage. The voltage of a phono signal is way lower as of line level.

I would think the issue is driver, usb cable related. Or worse case something defective in the sc that sends info to the usb output.

Download the dreiver from ESI-Audio

The U46DJ is the same card as the U46MKII and u can use the Driver

If you're using a USB3 port, change to a usb2 port (if you haven't changed USB port yet, you could do this). If you change port, be sure to run the setup again!

First focus would be to get sound OUT from your device. As you have noticed/shown there are a lot of steps/conditions for input. So as long as output doesn't work no use the put effort to that.

Use the 32bit version of Cross, just to exclude any 64bit drivers issues.

Just to be sure, first set output to your internal sc. Play a track and while playing you can change to the external one.
Ronald

Manual alternative link: ? https://www.mixvibes.com/wp-content/uploads/2017/10/cross-dj-user-manual.pdf
Soundcard not available/working? Try the 32bit version of Cross (is also installed).
RoJeC

Postby Deazo on 31 Dec 2016, 19:41

Thanks Ronald, you guessed right, this was indeed USB related.
I was one click away from moving to Traktor when I realized I had not tried to plug a power source for the "USB powered card".
There is no power cable in the box, however I used a different one and everything is now fully working!
I can't believe I spent so much time on this and did not realize that maybe the laptop I was using was not fueling the card with enough power...
It works very well right now, with next to nothing latency.
Thanks again

D.
Deazo

Postby RoJeC on 31 Dec 2016, 20:26

Great you have it to work.

It does seem a little strange however. Unless you're using multiple USB devices to the same (internal) USB hub.
If not I would suspect the power connection from usb to usb port is not OK. You might want to give it a try to replace the USB cable.
Ronald

RoJeC

Return to Community Support