Xone 23c switch between vinyl and timecodes?

Discuss technical issues with the community. Mixvibes staff provides no support on this board.
Forum rules
Click here to join MIxvibes on DISCORD https://discord.gg/gMdQJ2cJqa

Xone 23c switch between vinyl and timecodes?

Postby hiattbecker on 06 Jul 2016, 17:23

hello!
I am considering the Xone23c for the convenience of its internal soundcard. I'm also fairly frustrated with serato scratch live and would like to try Mixvibes. My question is, once I make the necessary internal connections to enable to Xone23c's DVS capabilities, can I still play regular old vinyl? On my current external soundcard I have to move my RCA outputs from *line to *thru in order to play my vinyl, then back to *line for timecodes. Is there a similar change one must make on the Xone or can I seamlessly switch from vinyl to timecode and back?

Thanks!
hiattbecker

Re: Xone 23c switch between vinyl and timecodes?

Postby elsh on 11 Aug 2016, 03:22

From what I gather you have to just turn on the phono gain control knob on that channel which otherwise during DVS playback should be set to zero (the gain control). No rca switching. However the DVS (usb) gain is fixed and should be controlled from the software. I ask answer from the Mixvibes staff how do I control that gain. Can it be mapped to a button or entering the preferences menu is a must? This would be deciding factor for getting or not this mixer.
Last edited by elsh on 11 Aug 2016, 12:15, edited 1 time in total.
elsh

Postby jaymarkus on 11 Aug 2016, 06:35

@ hiattbecker

look in Cross over the levelmeters there are two buttons A/B

click on them and you can switch between player (timecode) or Line play Vinyl or CD
SAMSUNG RC530-S0EDE/Core I7 2670QM/8GB/1TB Harddisk/NVIDIA GT540/Mixvibes DVS Upgrade Version 7.218+Mixvibes Cross 3.3.11/Numark NDX 800*2/Korg Zero 4 Mixer&SYNQ SMX-3/Technics 1210MkII*2/Traktor Audio 6 Soundcard/U-Mix Control Pro
jaymarkus

Postby elsh on 11 Aug 2016, 07:36

I guess that would be if you have your decks plugged to external sound card. This mixer has simultaneously fed phono input so you "toggle" by turning up or down the phono gain knob.
elsh

Postby RoJeC on 11 Aug 2016, 12:52

elsh wrote:I guess that would be if you have your decks plugged to external sound card. This mixer has simultaneously fed phono input so you "toggle" by turning up or down the phono gain knob.

No. You use the same inputs that are send to Cross. Çross has to know whether to use as TC, so no input to output, or to send input through to output.

The Phono gain is only to correct for potential difference in signal, but still ment to be phono level only.
It's not normally used as an amplifier from phono to line level (unless specified).
If you do use it for that purpose you will mess up your tc signal when switching back from vinyl to tc. It won't be easy to lower the gain back to the exact level you used when calibrating the tc in Cross.
Ronald

Manual alternative link: ? https://www.mixvibes.com/wp-content/uploads/2017/10/cross-dj-user-manual.pdf
Audio dropouts? Increase audio 'buffer size' value.
FAQ iOS / Android / PC / MAC http://www.mixvibes.com/help/
Soundcard not available/working? Try the 32bit version of Cross (is also installed).
RoJeC

Postby elsh on 11 Aug 2016, 22:18

Not sure I understand what you say so I'd need further clarification. It is fact that phono gain has to be set to zero during timecode playback. If you raise the gain you'll introduce the timecode beep to the master along with the track that plays. That shows that the phono and the usb are fed simultaneously to the channel fader. Logically if you want to switch to a normal vinyl you put it on and just raise the phono gain from zero to required volume. Are you saying you can't/shouldn't do this because it would also feed Cross via the usb and that would mess the already achieved calibration?
elsh

Postby RoJeC on 15 Aug 2016, 15:45

If you get tc in your output you should mute the monitoring of your inputs of your soundcard.

A phono gain control is only ment for getting a stable connection during setup. Once set you only use the channel fader(s). It's a 'gain' and not an 'amp' so not ment for amplifying but only for 'minor' gain.
Ronald

Manual alternative link: ? https://www.mixvibes.com/wp-content/uploads/2017/10/cross-dj-user-manual.pdf
Soundcard not available/working? Try the 32bit version of Cross (is also installed).
RoJeC

Postby elsh on 16 Aug 2016, 02:51

So when playing DVS there's no way to control gain i.e. it is fixed? I need control of the gain in the software at least, how do I do that? Using the channel fader is ridiculous because you can accidentally open it too loud. And what's with the cue PFL signal, can you control it or it is already too loud being fixed level?

And for the switching between DVS and normal vinyl you can only get a play through Cross of normal vinyl, not a bypass of Cross, or...?
elsh

Postby RoJeC on 16 Aug 2016, 10:48

When using DVS you control volume by channel fader and master volume at your mixer. Cross in External Mixer mode just sends your audio at Line level to your mixer channels.

Same applies for your Cue. Cross sends the deck audio to the channel at Line level. Your mixer likely has a Cue volume (knob?)fader to listen to PFL signal.

In the normal setup you would use Cross to switch between DVS and Vinyl. This is done by changing the input in the mixer section of Cross. You can also use the keyboard to make this happen with a single key click (didn't check if the default keyboard mapping has this set).

By using it this way you setup the audiolevels at start of your session.
While performing you only have to use your mixer, except for changing between vinyl<>DVS which is a single key stroke (or 2 if you use seperate deck A and B).
Ronald

RoJeC

Return to Community Support