Cross sets track to start 2 beats in?

Discuss technical issues with the community. Mixvibes staff provides no support on this board.
Forum rules
Click here to join MIxvibes on DISCORD https://discord.gg/gMdQJ2cJqa

Re: Cross sets track to start 2 beats in?

Postby djmagicmoments on 01 Feb 2014, 19:55

Simple 4 beat track, Billie Jean, loads up like this... THIS is what had DJ's pulling their hair out with this program...
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Mobile Entertainer for 26 Years
Serving Pittsburgh, PA & Surrounding Areas
djmagicmoments

Postby discopex on 01 Feb 2014, 21:11

The song features a real drummer and has some minimal tempo drifting, this is why the beat detection is off on the first beat. Have seen this exact same song behave in similar fashion with other DJ apps too. :cool:
Thinkpad X240, 8 Gb / 512Gb SSD
running Cross 3.4.3 64-bit
Allen & Heath K2, Pioneer DJM-450
discopex

Postby sylMV on 01 Feb 2014, 23:21

Yes, Billie Jean is not straight at all ...
And the overall best fitting (average) grid starts where the default cue point is set. Look in the middle of the track, the grid is correct.

Cross has become more and more dedicated to electronic music, but we should maybe get back some options for the others.

However, no date for this.
SylMV

sylMV

Postby djmagicmoments on 02 Feb 2014, 04:48

Absolutely not... VDJ, Traktor and DEX load up all my songs to start at the very beginning.

This is not just me. This is EVERY wedding DJ that I have trying the demo.

And please, music is music... it should beat grid correctly, no matter kind of music it is. It beat grids correctly on ALL other software except Cross. Makes absolutely no sense. We need a fix for this and fast. This is a deal breaker for for MANY who are trying it for the first time, most on my personal recommendation.
djmagicmoments

Postby sylMV on 02 Feb 2014, 23:33

It seems you didn't understand (but correct me if I'm wrong):
If the grid was correct a the beginning, it would be completely false in the middle of the track, because in Cross (and most of the other DJ apps) only straight grids can be detected.
Cross' algorithm just find the grid most fitting the song.

djmagicmoments wrote:it should beat grid correctly, no matter kind of music it is.

Agreed, but no software can actually do it without error!

djmagicmoments wrote:It beat grids correctly on ALL other software except Cross.

This is completely wrong.

That said, I perfectly understand the issue with automatic setting of the cue point when grid is completely off. We'll find a solution.

djmagicmoments wrote:We need a fix for this and fast. This is a deal breaker for for MANY who are trying it for the first time, most on my personal recommendation.

Cross works like this since a while, and nearly nobody's ever complaint about this... So, I won't lie to you, that's not because you want this to change that we'll do it (above all if you ask us to do it fast...).
However, be sure we'll take your feedback into account for future updates and think about doing something concerning the auto-cue.
SylMV

sylMV

Postby djmagicmoments on 03 Feb 2014, 00:19

With all due respect, don't change it for me... please change it for the wedding DJ's that I have introduced to Cross who now tell me they can't even use the program because of this.

If your program is ONLY for electronic music, then you should advertise it as such. MANY wedding DJ's are paying money for this only to have their tracks start 2 beats into the song with no way to fix the problem.

And yes, the songs cue perfectly in other software. I can get your pictures or videos if you like.

Again, don't fix it for me... fix it for the guys are now upset with ME because I didn't disclose this problem before I recommended it to them. Most said that they can not even use this software until you come up with a solution. So you can decide what priority it should be.
Last edited by djmagicmoments on 03 Feb 2014, 16:55, edited 1 time in total.
djmagicmoments

Postby djphaidon on 03 Feb 2014, 08:23

djmagicmoments wrote:With all due respect, don't change it for me... please change it for the wedding DJ's that I have introduced to Cross who now tell me they can't even use the program because of this.

Here is my issue with what you have been saying in quite a few posts. "Fix the software cause it's not gridding correctly", even though it is gridding it correctly. You want it to start at 00:00, or track start, which the DEVs have already said that they would look into as an option.

You are saying that, "wedding DJ's can't even use the software because their tracks start a few beats in, that all other software grids tracks completely correctly, and that there is no way to fix a track with the issue that you are complaining about."

Every statement above, completely false.

Wedding DJ's, over any other DJs have one thing in abundance. Time. Don't try to pull the "not even usable" because they have to spend 10 seconds per 5 minutes to hit 2 buttons to cue a track to the beginning. Done quite a few weddings, and it's not exactly the most taxing of gigs.

All other software doesn't even come close to Cross in gridding accuracy. Show me a video of any other software gridding any of your wedding songs even close to accurately, and I will refilm it showing you how wrong you are. They only get the starting at 00:00 right, cause the rest is wrong. In which case, you are no better off worrying about it cause with them, the rest of the song will be off, but you will have no way to correct for drift. You can correct for drift in Cross though.

As stated above, there is a way to fix your issue, and the Devs have indicated that your request is on the list of possible future improvements. So, as with anything, it will take time to implement. Don't take this as an insult, in fact, why not be glad that your request was even replied to by a DEVELOPER as a sign that things will be looked at and evaluated accordingly. I have used several softwares, and you don't usually get direct access to those who control the software direction though forums, let alone have them respond to your complaints.

MixVibes Cross 2.6.0
A&H Xone:DB4 / A&H Xone:K2 / QuNeo / iPad Lemur
15' MacBook Pro / 16Gb RAM

Retired: Jazzmutant Lemur / Korg padKontrol / Korg Zero 4 / VCI 100 / APC40 / NI S4 / Traktor

djphaidon

Postby djmagicmoments on 03 Feb 2014, 16:52

Here is what I said:

wedding DJ's that I have introduced to Cross who now tell me they can't even use the program because of this

Many DJ's have told me this. I have no problems resetting the cue since I have used the program EVERY day since I purchased it. I know how to fix it. Many DJ's want the program to scan their files and to cue their files properly. It's not that they CAN'T do it, it's that they shouldn't have to.

I absolutely agree that they have acknowledged the issue and have committed to fixing the problem. I was ONLY following up on what was told to me by the masses. That's all.

Let me clarify one thing... gridding is NOT the issue. Cue'ing is the issue. I have been using an incorrect term. My apologies.

This IS a user forum, right? I ONLY stated what users have told me. I am sure that the developers are able to pick and choose from posts to see what is important or not. But with responses like yours, I am sure users may be reluctant to post ANYTHING. Is that what you want?

I am ONLY trying to help. Still trying to learn the proper way to communicate on the forums. My apologies if I am doing it incorrectly.
Last edited by djmagicmoments on 03 Feb 2014, 17:04, edited 2 times in total.
djmagicmoments

Postby Hannes on 03 Feb 2014, 16:56

FYI you can combine "set cue" and "needle position" to set any Cue instantly to 0:0:0 track time, maybe that helps.
June 2012 Mixvibes DJ of the month

https://soundcloud.com/han-nes-10/fridaybeatdown2ndedition
no support by pm

beta troll

Macbook Pro 13, late 2011, 6GB RAM, 480GB Crucial M500
Thudrumble TR-1S, Vestax VFX-1, ESI Maya USB+, Rane SL2
Hannes

Postby djmagicmoments on 03 Feb 2014, 17:03

Thank you Hannes.

Can you please describe it better?

Can it be done as a batch or a single track at a time?
djmagicmoments

PreviousNext

Return to Community Support