Samples and the U-Mix Control Pro

Discuss technical issues with the community. Mixvibes staff provides no support on this board.
Forum rules
Click here to join MIxvibes on DISCORD https://discord.gg/gMdQJ2cJqa

Samples and the U-Mix Control Pro

Postby skelletor03 on 16 Oct 2012, 19:06

Hello,

I was wondering if anyone has experience with using/loading audio samples into the Cross DJ software and using them with the U-Mix Control Pro for live mixing? I just saw a Mixvibes video that shows it is possible to use them, but I want to know if it's possible to download samples/loops from a site like Loopmasters and then use them with the controller and software. It's my understanding that the software has a set of samples included with it, but I haven't checked those out at this point (somehow skipped my mind since I started playing around with all this stuff). If it is possible to buy these third-party loops and samples and use them with the software, is there a certain format I should be looking for (.wav, etc.)? Are they relatively easy to load and use?

Also, are the controls and options for the samples only accessible via the software itself and not on the physical controller? In other words, will I be confined to only using my mouse/keyboard to trigger the samples during a live mix?

Thanks in advance!
skelletor03

Re: Samples and the U-Mix Control Pro

Postby christiankoopmann on 16 Oct 2012, 19:18

Hey,

yes you can buy from other sides loops and samples but keep in mind that they have to be in formats like mp3, wav, mp4 like files which can handle Cross.
You can also create one samples and also samples in live set like pressing the sample butten when nothing is loaded and you have set like 4-beat it will create a temporary 4-beat loop at a sample section.
To your question about how to set samples: I would prefere you to set them before going to the party. So I mean that you can create sample banks and save them. So you have only to load them for the set.

You can also put them in live set directly with your mouse into the sample decks but I prefere to set them before you start playing ;).
You can trigger them also with a second MIDI controller like AKAI LPD8 or your mouse or keyboard. The only thing you have to do is to map the mapping (keyboard or MIDI device).

So if you have further questions ask again.

Attention: PLEASE keep on mind that DRM protected files will not work!

regards
Christian
February 2012 Mixvibes DJ of the Month
DVS 7, Cross (DJ), U-Mix Remote App (iPad & iPhone App)

MEMBER OF:
:cool: c00l People MV Society :cool:
christiankoopmann

Postby skelletor03 on 16 Oct 2012, 19:57

christiankoopmann wrote:Hey,

yes you can buy from other sides loops and samples but keep in mind that they have to be in formats like mp3, wav, mp4 like files which can handle Cross.
You can also create one samples and also samples in live set like pressing the sample butten when nothing is loaded and you have set like 4-beat it will create a temporary 4-beat loop at a sample section.
To your question about how to set samples: I would prefere you to set them before going to the party. So I mean that you can create sample banks and save them. So you have only to load them for the set.

You can also put them in live set directly with your mouse into the sample decks but I prefere to set them before you start playing ;).
You can trigger them also with a second MIDI controller like AKAI LPD8 or your mouse or keyboard. The only thing you have to do is to map the mapping (keyboard or MIDI device).

So if you have further questions ask again.

Attention: PLEASE keep on mind that DRM protected files will not work!

regards
Christian

Thanks, Christian!

So, as long the files are in .wav or .mp3 (formats that Cross supports) I can use them :) That's great. I have a party coming up this Friday, but wanted to play around with the samples for transitions between tracks and maybe while certain songs are playing. I'm looking forward to trying this once I get home tonight as it's a feature I wasn't really familiar with or aware of until recently. It certainly adds a bit of flair and creativity to live productions, which is what I've been looking for.

One last question...how many samples does Cross DJ include by default? 8? 16? Are they decent or should I try and get some more variety? My playlist for Friday includes mostly pop, hip hop, and some electro-house.

Thanks!
skelletor03

Postby christiankoopmann on 16 Oct 2012, 20:28

Hey,

You have on both decks 8 sample decks where you can insert samples or used to set live samples (like saving loops).

You can save sample banks and you can load them so you can set different sets like one for hip hop, one for pop and so on. Then you can load them for the specific song genre. I would play a bit around with it to get familiar with it and then you can insert it Friday to your party set up.

Regards
Christian

MEMBER OF:
christiankoopmann

Postby skelletor03 on 16 Oct 2012, 20:34

You have on both decks 8 sample decks where you can insert samples or used to set live samples (like saving loops).

You can save sample banks and you can load them so you can set different sets like one for hip hop, one for pop and so on. Then you can load them for the specific song genre. I would play a bit around with it to get familiar with it and then you can insert it Friday to your party set up.

Regards
Christian

Thanks! What I meant in my question was does the Cross DJ 2.01 or 2.1 software include sample files that are ready to use or are those the ones that I need to buy or create myself? The video seemed to suggest that the software included some read to use sample files. I'll probably look into further tonight, but just wanted a heads up before possibly purchasing some additional samples/loops from Loopmasters.

-Ben
skelletor03

Postby christiankoopmann on 16 Oct 2012, 20:39

Hey,

Sorry I misunderstand you, yes Cross (DJ) 2.1 includes some pre to use samples. You will see that the installer is bigger than the old installer ;).

Regards
Christian

MEMBER OF:
christiankoopmann

Postby skelletor03 on 16 Oct 2012, 20:44

Sorry I misunderstand you, yes Cross (DJ) 2.1 includes some pre to use samples. You will see that the installer is bigger than the old installer ;).

Regards
Christian

No worries....again, I really appreciate your insights :) I'll download the latest version of Cross DJ tonight and see if the included samples will work for my set :)

Thanks!

-Ben
skelletor03

Return to Community Support