Cross DJ & iTunes Playlist Lock Ups ...

Discuss technical issues with the community. Mixvibes staff provides no support on this board.
Forum rules
Click here to join MIxvibes on DISCORD https://discord.gg/gMdQJ2cJqa

Cross DJ & iTunes Playlist Lock Ups ...

Postby DJ-Zibot on 29 Jul 2012, 01:06

Hi MV

I haven't seen too much about this but the only time I hold my breath using Cross DJ is if I try to access my iTunes Database to retrieve a track or playlist. And I would never do this while DJ'ing a gig.

I use iTunes for a weekly radio show in addition to DJ'ing. For organization purposes, I create a playlist for every show, and every CD... which climbs over 1500. So, yes many many playlists and maybe 18,000 tracks (not that I need all this for DJ'ing).

It seems the code in Cross DJ has been written assuming a small number of playlists in iTunes. However in my situation, clicking on the iTunes icon in the Cross DJ dock is a prescription for a heart attack.

While Cross continues to stream the track playing - everything else (controls, display) freezes up while Cross processes the iTunes Database files.

And in my case, this is an incredibly long time to lose control - maybe a minute or 50 seconds ... during which I have no control of Cross DJ.

I tried just importing the whole iTunes database into Cross once and it crashed.

Not sure what you're doing with your coding and parsing the iTunes DB files but losing control of Cross for the time it takes the code to eat up those iTunes files keeps me from ever thinking of accessing iTunes during a gig. If I didn't think of the track before I start, I won't use it while gigging.

I wonder if this is something on your development radar - I can't imagine it should take more than a few seconds to eat the iTunes 33MB XML file ...

Seeing Cross DJ just freeze up is not for the weak of heart when gigging ...

Otherwise ... way fun rolling with Cross DJ!
DJ-Zibot

Re: CrossDJ & iTunes Playlist Lock Ups ...

Postby Hannes on 29 Jul 2012, 11:31

Until this gets fixed, you could export the playlist you need and access it via the explorer in Cross.
June 2012 Mixvibes DJ of the month

https://soundcloud.com/han-nes-10/fridaybeatdown2ndedition
no support by pm

beta troll

Macbook Pro 13, late 2011, 6GB RAM, 480GB Crucial M500
Thudrumble TR-1S, Vestax VFX-1, ESI Maya USB+, Rane SL2
Hannes

Postby djegun on 30 Jul 2012, 12:27

Please post or send us your iTunes XML file.
djegun

Postby jrhythm6960 on 31 Jul 2012, 21:18

Hi..is the answer in the xml file? I'm having the same problems as DJ-Zibot. I was also wondering if it has to do with where my "iTunes music" folder exists...right now it's in /Users/******/Music. Should it be in /Users/******/Music/iTunes ?

If the above seems cool, than I can send you my iTunes music library.xml file, (21 MB) if you think the answer lies within.

Thanks...I have a gig tomorrow night, and it would be great to have access to iTunes during it...
jrhythm6960

Postby Hannes on 31 Jul 2012, 21:45

jrhythm6960 wrote: I was also wondering if it has to do with where my "iTunes music" folder exists...right now it's in /Users/******/Music. Should it be in /Users/******/Music/iTunes ?

Where your iTunes "media" folder is located doesnt matter,
the library.xml points to it and gives Cross Info where to find the tracks.
e.g. I have the "media" folder on a different harddrive, no problems there.

So please zip up your library.xml, upload it to a filehoster and share the link with us.
Thx.
June 2012 Mixvibes DJ of the month

https://soundcloud.com/han-nes-10/fridaybeatdown2ndedition
no support by pm

beta troll

Macbook Pro 13, late 2011, 6GB RAM, 480GB Crucial M500
Thudrumble TR-1S, Vestax VFX-1, ESI Maya USB+, Rane SL2
Hannes

Postby DJ-Zibot on 01 Aug 2012, 01:18

djegun wrote:Please post or send us your iTunes XML file.

PM'd ...
DJ-Zibot

Postby jrhythm6960 on 01 Aug 2012, 12:16

Ok...here it is...http://www.jaycookmusic.com/DJ-J.html

Thanks in advance...
jrhythm6960

Postby Nordhal on 06 Aug 2012, 11:42

Hi guys,

There are differences in your issues :

DJ-Zibot, you have a Huuuge amount of playlists ! (about 2500+) And the Gui mechanics freeze to much while displaying these.
It will be greatly improved in next versions.

jrhythm6960, you do not have a large amount of playlist, juste 10000+ tracks, but I have no freeze when I click on iTunes Dock.
I tried both with Mac OSX Lion and Windows.

Can you tell me what is your config? Maybe it can give me some clues...

Thanks in advance
Nordhal

Postby jrhythm6960 on 11 Aug 2012, 23:28

Hi…

I am using a mac mini, Version 10.6.8, 2,4 Ghz Intel Core duo, 2 GB, 1067 MHz…500 Gb hard drive w/ 250 Gb still available..

I recently had to replace the hard drive, and Cross 2.0.1 was working great w/ the old drive. I was wondering if the issue might be the most recent version of iTunes? Not sure what I was using on the old hard drive, but I know it wasn’t the most recent version.

I also tried reinstalling Cross 2.0.1, but it’s still unstable when adding tunes to a playlist or "collection" in Cross..thanks for looking into this.
jrhythm6960

Postby jrhythm6960 on 13 Aug 2012, 20:23

Please help, someone!!...in addition to above, it now freezes after clicking on "collections" while in autoplay!!! I have gigs Wednesday, Friday and Saturday nights, and I'm ready to bag Cross altogether!!
jrhythm6960

Next

Return to Community Support