Changing Bitrate & Cross DJ Not Updating

Discuss technical issues with the community. Mixvibes staff provides no support on this board.
Forum rules
Click here to join MIxvibes on DISCORD https://discord.gg/gMdQJ2cJqa

Changing Bitrate & Cross DJ Not Updating

Postby dahurd on 10 Feb 2012, 18:34

Ok so I have some tracks in Cross DJ where the bitrate is showing as poor. I changed the bitrate & verified in the source directory that it was changed & that the modified date/time was the current date/time.

I re-opened Cross DJ and went to the file & re-analysed it. After analysing the file still showed in Cross DJ as not changed as in still the old bitrate.

I right clicked and went to Show In Explorer and the files shows as udated?

Any clues?
dahurd

Re: Changing Bitrate & Cross DJ Not Updating

Postby Blackbrook on 10 Feb 2012, 19:28

dahurd wrote:Ok so I have some tracks in Cross DJ where the bitrate is showing as poor. I changed the bitrate ...

We can stop reading because this is completely wrong! You can not change the bitrate in Cross by changing its value. You can try to open it with audacity (or comparable stuff) and encode it with a higher bitrate BUT this won't work because the frequencies are shrunk because of the first lower bitrate.

dahurd wrote:Any clues?

Yes! Read books, papers or anything including infos about bitrates. If you are not the guy that likes to read you can try asking friends. Friends with knowledge, not those who say they know about it!

No offense my friend, but a DJ is a lot more than just a jukebox!
Viele Grüße,
Cheers,
A plus,
Steve

Winner Mixvibes 10 years DJ contest 2009

Blackbrook

Postby sylMV on 10 Feb 2012, 19:43

The only way to make Cross update these values is to remove and re-add the tracks to your collection.

This kind of information is not supposed to change as it's a property of the audio data.
Re-encoding a track is like creating a new track, and Cross doesn't handle the case where the track under a filename changes.
I agree with you, this could be improved by updating these info while analyzing.
SylMV

sylMV

Postby dahurd on 10 Feb 2012, 19:48

Hi SylMV,

Thanks for that! I thought that & will try but I wanted to ask first.

Is there a way to begin a new collection but keep the original? And if you began a new colection would you have to re analyse all again?

Cheers! D
dahurd

Postby sylMV on 10 Feb 2012, 20:09

You can create as many collection as you want, they won't be linked.

However, the analysis data (peak, beatgrid) will be shared. This means:
- if you open the copy, and remove some tracks, the original collection won't be affected.
- If, in a collection, you modify tag fields and save tags, you'll get the modified info only after a tag reload in the other.
- If you modify the beatgrid of a track in a collection, you'll get the modifications in the other collection too (cause these data aren't stored in the collection itself but in the peak directory).

Hope this is quite clear... :lol:

Cheers,
SylMV

sylMV

Postby dahurd on 10 Feb 2012, 20:30

@ slyMV I have maybe 100 or so tracks where I want to re encode them to get the bitrate better.

Sounds to me that would be easier to download them again at a higher bitrate.

Delete them from my library then import the whole library back into Cross...
dahurd

Postby UncleVibes on 10 Feb 2012, 20:36

Sounds to me that would be easier to download them again at a higher bitrate.
Oh yes! You can't get lost information rebirth. Low bitrate encoding means a choice of frequency to keep and what to kill
UncleVibes

Postby daniel clark on 11 Feb 2012, 04:30

dahurd wrote:Sounds to me that would be easier to download them again at a higher bitrate.

:idea: :idea: :idea:

:surprised: Seriously if the tracks sound quality is not to your likeing, then the track is useless not matter what the bit rate,have come across some tracks that had high bitrates and still sounded bad /different and my ears told me that i needed a replacement :!: it does help to have all or most of them on the same quality level, akin to trying to mix with two different phono cartiges, can be done but the outcome is better if there the same,carried two brand new needles mounted in the styles head and changed them out in pairs when one went bad :cool: :cool:
Last edited by daniel clark on 11 Feb 2012, 13:24, edited 1 time in total.
January 2012 Mixvibes DJ of the month
MEMBER OF:
:cool: C00l People MV Society :cool:

PLEASE REGISTER YOUR SOFTWARE...FORUM RULES
2014 dell XPS8700
intel core i5 4400@3.10ghz
12 gigs DDR3 ram
NVDIA GeForce GT635
Win 10 /64 bits OS
Realteck 7.1
Home USB sound dogle
Asus VE247H monitor
Logitec G-15 ser 1 gaming keyboard
U-Mix Control Pro 2
daniel clark

Postby BennyB on 11 Feb 2012, 13:21

Let me clear up some bitrate misunderstanding for him :)

.wav format is called Raw PCM in other words, witch means, its a basic losless coding used by CD-s. So the data is not shrinked.

in .mp3 and other formats, tha data is shrinked, and coded, so files are smaller.
The bitrate shows how big was the shrinking algorithm (so it nearly indicates how much data you can expect to loose in the coding) when the original losless source is shrinked.
MP3 encoder, when codes a track, analises it, and cuts down some of the lower and higher frequencies, so it does not have to store those frequenci ranges (less data).
If you go lower on the bitrate more frequency ranges are cut off.
As far as I know, for exmaple in the 128kbps bitrate, you have nothing over 16kHz, and below 60 or 70 hz.
But the point is: If you convert these tracks to a higher bitrate, you will not get better quality. In fact: Sometimes recoding a track to a higher bitrate also lowers the quality a little bit.

So as you said, just get them in a bigger bitrate, and you should be ok :)
April 2012 Mixvibes DJ of the month

aka. Ben

"...Music Is The Answer To The Problems..."

FOUNDER OF:
:cool: c00l People MV Society :cool:
!!!Sampler Fi!!!
Helping MIXVIBES FORUM being an awsome place
since 2011!

MixVibes People!!! UNITE!!!
BennyB

Return to Community Support