pad/cc MIDI problem

Discuss technical issues with the community. Mixvibes staff provides no support on this board.
Forum rules
Click here to join MIxvibes on DISCORD https://discord.gg/gMdQJ2cJqa

pad/cc MIDI problem

Postby John Wo_O on 15 Nov 2011, 04:24

Ok so I have a LPD8 which allows me to set its 8 pads as 'pad' or 'cc'.

when in pad mode, Cross receive
MIDI event: Channel 1 - Note xxxx

when in cc mode, it gets
MIDI event: Channel 1 - Controller xxxx

It seems pretty obvious like that but it keeps me from using the pads as pads whereas Traktor let me use them as pads.

For example, I'm trying to do a simple config like that
Pad5 Pad6 Pad7 Pad8
Pad1 Pad2 Pad3 Pad4
#1: loop in, #2 loop on/off, #3 loop out
#5: autoloop select -1, #6 autoloop trigger, #7 autoloop select +1

Player 1: the above in 'pad' mode
Player 2: the above in 'cc' mode
In Traktor, no problem
in Cross, not possible because when I set up my pads, the available preset is Trigger Fader/Knob instead of Trigger Button / Trigger Note
John Wo_O

Re: pad/cc MIDI problem

Postby sylMV on 15 Nov 2011, 11:01

Hi,

You must understand that if your pads send CC instead of Notes, you won't have the same presets available, that's normal.

But you're right, whereas you should have no problem with Loop In, Loop Out and Loop On/Off, there's however no preset fitting your needs for autoloops.

Thanx for the feedback.

Just an idea, can't you configure yout LPD8 to send Notes on different MIDI Channels, depending on which Player you wanna control?
SylMV

sylMV

Postby John Wo_O on 15 Nov 2011, 16:19

I do understand and I get that Cross is behaving how it is supposed to according to the signal it receives.

I think that the problem is that the available presets are offered depending on the message received and not on the MIDI function it's being assigned to. For example, Loop On/Off shouldn't give preset for knob/fader, it doesn't really make sense. Or at least it shouldn't keep the button preset away.

I will try the different MIDI channel (not sure how to do it however)

thanks SylMV
John Wo_O

Postby sylMV on 23 Nov 2011, 16:30

You are quite right, Cross looks at the incoming message but also at the kind of data the function needs (stuff like on/off, integer value, normalized value, etc.). Then, the preset list is quite "generic", and sure there are useless presets (or at least, almost never used) for many functions.

This being said, two presets will be added for the next update (1.7.1) that should fit your needs:
- Inc.-Dec. Button for a CC as for a Note.
- Direct Integer Button for a CC as for a Note.

Cheers,
SylMV

sylMV

Postby John Wo_O on 25 Nov 2011, 07:24

well, that's just great, thanks!
John Wo_O

Postby John Wo_O on 09 Dec 2011, 16:25

I quickly checked the changelog for 7.1 but didn't see any mention of the things discussed here. Do you guys confirm it's included?
John Wo_O

Postby sylMV on 09 Dec 2011, 16:58

yup, it should !
SylMV

sylMV

Postby John Wo_O on 09 Dec 2011, 17:55

cool thanks
John Wo_O

Postby John Wo_O on 11 Dec 2011, 01:45

Quick feedback regarding v7.1

I used the new preset "map integer to knob" (not sure if it's the correct label) to assign the FX select function to a knob. It worked well as soon as I figured that the values need to be 0 to [number of values - 1]. Kind of logical although you would think that the mapping would be done automatically, maybe via a checkbox which would overrule the values that you can enter? just an idea

It also worked fine for Auto Loop Select.

I noticed a graphic glitch (I'll try to take a screenshot) while I was playing with the values that happened to the FX amount UI. The amount shown in yellow would jump to 50% although the knob didn't move. As I said, I think it's just a glitch that doesn't affect anything.

I didn't see the other preset... We're getting there! :)
John Wo_O

Postby sylMV on 12 Dec 2011, 12:07

John Wo_O wrote:I used the new preset "map integer to knob"

This preset was not one of those you asked for, but nice to know you use it too ;)

John Wo_O wrote:I noticed a graphic glitch (I'll try to take a screenshot) while I was playing with the values that happened to the FX amount UI. The amount shown in yellow would jump to 50% although the knob didn't move. As I said, I think it's just a glitch that doesn't affect anything.

I guess that's not a glitch. The Bi-Filter is the only FX having a "centered" amount, so when you select it the knob track becomes centered!

John Wo_O wrote:I didn't see the other preset... We're getting there! :)

As said before, "Inc.-Dec. Button (as Note)" and "Direct Integer Button (as Note)" have been added. They're to be used for buttons sending CC instead of Note messages and map them to Integer controls, and then corresponding to your requests! I can't believe you can't see them :)
SylMV

sylMV

Next

Return to Community Support