Best Way of Playing Normal Records/Vinyl?

Discuss technical issues with the community. Mixvibes staff provides no support on this board.
Forum rules
Click here to join MIxvibes on DISCORD https://discord.gg/gMdQJ2cJqa

Best Way of Playing Normal Records/Vinyl?

Postby macadali on 26 Oct 2011, 04:48

Hi everyone,

So far I am very happy with my MixVibes Cross Pack purchase. I chose it for the great reviews I have read. I have downloaded the current version 1.6.1.

My problem:

I'm getting less than optimal sound when playing normal vinyl/records on my turnables through MixVibes.

This is what I'm doing while trying to play normal records:

1. On the graphical interface I'm switching from the 'Player' button to 'Line In'.

2. On the U46MK2 soundcard - if I leave the input switch on 'Line', I get sound, but the volume is very low and the quality of sound is very poor.

3. If I switch the from 'Line' to 'Phono' I get a sound volume improvement, but the quality is still far less than desireable - I can't mix in normal records with digital files with it sounding like this.

*I'm using brand new Ortofon needles, so it's no problem with them.

I'm hoping that people may be able to offer me some advice as to how to best get optimal sound quality from playing normal records/vinyl on MixVibes. Perhaps I'm doing something wrong?

Or is it just not possible with this product? I belive that it works perfectly on Traktor.

Please advise.
macadali

Re: Best Way of Playing Normal Records/Vinyl?

Postby Hannes on 26 Oct 2011, 11:46

you always need to set the u46mk2 to phono when using turntables,
in the Cross Audio-preferences choose line as input source.
June 2012 Mixvibes DJ of the month

https://soundcloud.com/han-nes-10/fridaybeatdown2ndedition
no support by pm

beta troll

Macbook Pro 13, late 2011, 6GB RAM, 480GB Crucial M500
Thudrumble TR-1S, Vestax VFX-1, ESI Maya USB+, Rane SL2
Hannes

Postby Blackbrook on 26 Oct 2011, 12:22

To me switching both, the GUI and the switch on the audio interface, to Phono brought the best sound (although it is the "wrong way") while playing "normal" vinyl.

Cheers,

Steve
Viele Grüße,
Cheers,
A plus,
Steve

Winner Mixvibes 10 years DJ contest 2009

Blackbrook

Postby macadali on 26 Oct 2011, 12:31

Thanks j-kut. That has made a big difference, but it still doesn't sound as good as the normal records/vinyl by itself.

I'm basing this on the sheer fact that I think it could sound better. (Or I need it to - so I can mix both normal records in with digital tracks during sets.)

Following your advice, this is what I've done:

1. U46MK2 switch is set to 'Phono' for both decks (before I was using 'Line').

2. MixVibes Cross Audio preference has been set to 'Line' for both inputs 1/2 and 3/4.

3. On the graphical interface I'm switching from the 'Player' button to 'Line In' when playing normal records, then back to 'Player' for digital files.

Is how it should always be when playing digital and then normal records/vinyl?

Or am I missing something?
macadali

Postby Hannes on 26 Oct 2011, 12:36

that´s fine,
what you probably are experiencing is the massive difference in sound from digital vs. analog.

I always hated that as well, when switching between Cd and Vinyl...

no support by pm

beta troll

Hannes

Postby macadali on 26 Oct 2011, 12:42

Thanks as well Blackbrook. I'm finding that either 'Phono' or 'Line' on the audio preferences doesn't make much difference at all when playing digital - in fact I think it's identical sounding.

So what are you suggesting as the optimal settings overal for normal vinyl being introduced during sets, given your experience?

Please advise.

@ j-kut again - that's what I have figured, but I just want to be sure.
macadali

Postby Hannes on 26 Oct 2011, 12:49

for playing digital files (mp3 etc) it wont make a difference since it´s only affecting the input from the turntables.

You either have to set the u46 to line and Cross to phono or vice versa, anything else will result in bad sound when playing "real" vinyl or bad timecode-tracking.

imo the best way to play vinyl during a DVS set is to split the turntable output with theese cables http://www.thomann.de/at/cordial_cfy_03_ecc.htm

you need 4 of them, plug the turntables into them and then plug one end to the u46 and one directly to the phono-in of your mixer.

the output cabling on the u46 (u46 to line-in mixer) stays the same.

This is what i do.

no support by pm

beta troll

Hannes

Postby macadali on 26 Oct 2011, 13:04

j-kut wrote:You either have to set the u46 to line and Cross to phono or vice versa, anything else will result in bad sound when playing "real" vinyl or bad timecode-tracking.

imo the best way to play vinyl during a DVS set is to split the turntable output with theese cables http://www.thomann.de/at/cordial_cfy_03_ecc.htm

you need 4 of them, plug the turntables into them and then plug one end to the u46 and one directly to the phono-in of your mixer.

the output cabling on the u46 (u46 to line-in mixer) stays the same.

This is what i do.

Yea, I've found the best overal sound for analog vinyl is to change the Audio preference for the input of the deck about to be playing analog to 'Line' and keeping 'Phono' on the U46MK2 always for both inputs.

Sounds crazy - it's in reverse of what it should be lol!!! But after all combinations this seems to sound best.

It's a bit annoying to have to change this in preferences each time though, but I guess it is what it is.

Thank you. I will definitely look into those cables if I start to doubt the quality of the sound.

You guys rock!
macadali

Postby Hannes on 26 Oct 2011, 13:09

U46MK2: phono
Cross: line

That´s actually what it´s supposed to be, though other way round works as well. You have an older manual, dont you? ;)

no support by pm

beta troll

Hannes

Postby macadali on 26 Oct 2011, 13:12

Haha yes I think I must have an old manual - the software version was 1.4.0 so everything must have been wrong!!! :rolleyes:
macadali

Next

Return to Community Support