Ion Discover DJ / Cross LE cue

Discuss technical issues with the community. Mixvibes staff provides no support on this board.
Forum rules
Click here to join MIxvibes on DISCORD https://discord.gg/gMdQJ2cJqa

Ion Discover DJ / Cross LE cue

Postby bukem on 27 Sep 2011, 15:47

I am learning how to DJ using my Macbook Pro with an Ion Discover DJ and I am running the latest Cross LE 1.3.2. :D

I am studying "ellaskins" youtube channel to learn. After watching the CDJ videos (as this is the closest tutorial to MIDI controller djing), I notice on a CDJ, you can hold the cue button AND alter the speed using the jog wheel which is useful for beatmatching. On the Ion Discover DJ, you cannot use the jog wheel in cue mode but you can in "Play" mode. I find this annoying and more importantly, this is different to how CDJs work (at least from what I've watched).

Is there a reason why you can't do this? Is it something that can be address in the next software release?
Computer: 2010 MacBook Pro 13 inch - Snow Leopard (10.6)
Controller: Ion Discover DJ
Software: Mixvibes Cross LE
bukem

Re: Ion Discover DJ / Cross LE cue

Postby Blackbrook on 27 Sep 2011, 17:05

How about using the jogs for altering the speed? And what about the match and sync functions?
Viele Grüße,
Cheers,
A plus,
Steve

Winner Mixvibes 10 years DJ contest 2009

Blackbrook

Postby bukem on 28 Sep 2011, 15:00

That's the thing! "Cue" mode does not alter the speed using the jog wheels. However it does in "Play" mode. It's more of annoyance than a show stopper but I was wondering if it can be added in the next patch of Cross LE.

I am trying to learn the old school way of DJ and really want to beatmatch by using my ears! At least this way, my skills will be transferable to whatever hardware I'll get in the future. I think its bad enough relying on the bpm counter and the waveform to beatmatch (I may have to close the lid of the laptop in the future!!) :D

Also the stuff I'm into doesn't always have a constant bpm so I really have no choice but to learn the hard way!
bukem

Postby Blackbrook on 28 Sep 2011, 16:54

I am sorry but I really don't get the point. What exactly is your problem? Can you explain what you mean with cue mode and play mode? I am totally confused!

Usually you press play, the track is palying and with the jow wheels you pitch bend. Knowing in which direction to bend you can adjust the pitch fader step by step and start from the beginning. This is how to beatmatch.
Viele Grüße,
Cheers,
A plus,
Steve

Blackbrook

Postby bukem on 28 Sep 2011, 21:20

Ok let me try and explain.

If you keep the Cue button pressed (ie hold the button down), the track plays until you release your finger off the Cue button. Releasing it will also set the track back to the start position (or cue point).

If you press the Play button, the track plays. Press the Play button again and the track pauses.

When I mix and beatmatch, I would like to 'test' the beatmatching first by using the Cue button and move the jog wheel (and altering the pitch control) to get the track at the correct speed. The beauty about the Cue is that when you release the button, the track stops. Holding the Cue button again and the track plays starts at the cue point. If I make a mistake during the beatmatch, I can always the release the Cue and then hold the Cue again on the correct bar. From the videos I have seen, Pioneer CDJ's can do this (and assumed this the can be done in Cross LE).

Now I workaround this by either:
1) Holding cue on the correct bar then also tap the Play button. This allows me to release my finger from the Cue button and use Jog wheel to the correct beatmatch (with pitch control).

2) Just press Play on the correct bar. If a press play too early or too late, pressing the Cue button will stop the track. Then i'll press Play again on the correct bar. I'll use the Jog wheel to correct the beatmatch (with pitch control).

The reason I want the Jog wheel to work in Cue is because stupidly, I forget I'm holding down the Cue and cannot use the Jog wheels to correct the beatmatch! I just feel the Cue button is more intuitive and requires less button pressing (and potential mistakes) during a mix.

As I stated in my earlier, It's not really a big problem, I assumed It can be done with an Ion Discover DJ because CDJ do it. After all, these MIDI controllers are supposed to mimic CDJs. And because Cross LE is software, it could be addressed at a later date.

Also what doesn't help is that the Ion Discover DJ doesn't have pitch sliders, it has pitch buttons! So apart from the using the mouse, you cannot "ride" the pitch as you can with a CDJ, turntable or other MIDI controllers.
bukem

Postby Blackbrook on 28 Sep 2011, 22:59

I am not sure if this is mappable in Cross because as long as you hold down the Cue button your MIDI controller is sending this MIDI note. Turning the jog would mean that you send another MIDI note but because you still press the cue button I am not quite sure if it is possible. I know the "Cue + Play" behaviour and this led to the opinion that it might work because there are sent two MIDI notes at the same time too. To be honest: I am not sure! Hopefully anybody else in here has a clue! Crossing fingers!
Viele Grüße,
Cheers,
A plus,
Steve

Blackbrook

Return to Community Support