Is this possible??

Discuss technical issues with the community. Mixvibes staff provides no support on this board.
Forum rules
Click here to join MIxvibes on DISCORD https://discord.gg/gMdQJ2cJqa

Is this possible??

Postby alexbesht on 05 Sep 2011, 17:28

Hi y'all,
simple (and probably stupid) question:

Is it possible that, using turntables, a mixer, and REAL vinyls, the u46mk2 soundcard works (as in makes the sound go out of my speakers) when connected to an active usb hub BUT the hub itself not being connected to Any computer/USB port, only connected to power supply! Is that possible??

Thanks!
Mac OS X
Macbook alu 2008
U46MKII
DJM-400
Technics SL-1210
Akai MPD24
Cross 1.7.1
alexbesht

Re: Is this possible??

Postby christiankoopmann on 05 Sep 2011, 18:56

Hey,

You have to connected the U46MK2 to the computer and working and also enabled bypass to my knowlege. But you could take t(y)-adapter or splitter to split the signal from the turntable to the two devices (U46MK2 and Mixer PHONO in).
Like this: http://www.amazon.de/Cinch-Y-Kabel-Verteiler-2xStecker-1xBuchse/dp/B0018CKZ4K/ref=sr_1_5?s=ce-de&ie=UTF8&qid=1315241645&sr=1-5

Then you can connect the tt directly to both and at the mixer you can switch von phono to Line for real vinyl and sound from the computer.

regards
Christian
February 2012 Mixvibes DJ of the Month
DVS 7, Cross (DJ), U-Mix Remote App (iPad & iPhone App)

MEMBER OF:
:cool: c00l People MV Society :cool:
christiankoopmann

Postby alexbesht on 05 Sep 2011, 20:00

Yeah that could work. I was basically asking this because, I am pretty sure it did happen the other day. I was in a rush so I didn't pay much attention, but I do think that absolutely nothing was connected to any of the 2 usb ports on my mac, and the sound was there! I thought this was great because if I can leave the computer somewhere else and just play real vinyls when I want to! That would be really cool for me.
But again, i'm not sure this happened as I never managed to make it work again, and I did think you needed the computer running to get any sound...
Mac OS X
Macbook alu 2008
U46MKII
DJM-400
Technics SL-1210
Akai MPD24
Cross 1.7.1
alexbesht

Postby christiankoopmann on 05 Sep 2011, 20:43

Hey,

I only know that sound comes over the U46MK2 only when connected to an running computer. I personal use those y-adapters which I posted above and it works fine for me. My Mixer has 2 input per channel and on the top a switch for phono and line so I can switch directly between the real vinyl and U46MK2 Sound.

A little note for the adapters. You need for each player 2 adapters. They slpit one cinch to 2 cinch and check at the description the way! ;) you can buy them as 1 -> 2 adapter and also as 2 -> 1 adapters ;).

regards
Christian
February 2012 Mixvibes DJ of the Month
DVS 7, Cross (DJ), U-Mix Remote App (iPad & iPhone App)

MEMBER OF:
:cool: c00l People MV Society :cool:
christiankoopmann

Postby alexbesht on 06 Sep 2011, 00:26

Right. Thanks for the advice!
I Think it's a good technique. Although it wouldn't quite work for me because I like to use the "second input" of one channel for other purposes, it's always busy...
But thanks for the tip.
So it would appear that I was totally dreaming/really tired that day...quite possible. Still really felt like it happened...but probably not
Mac OS X
Macbook alu 2008
U46MKII
DJM-400
Technics SL-1210
Akai MPD24
Cross 1.7.1
alexbesht

Postby alexbesht on 17 Sep 2011, 00:21

Just wanted to say that I wasn't dreaming the other day. I did it again today and got it:
If my soundcard is connected to a powered usb hub, and without ever launching Cross, if I connect the usb hub to a usb port for a few seconds till I get sound coming out of it, and then take the usb cable out of the computer, the sound is still coming out.
It's as if the soundcard needed a little "spark" to get going and then the power from my usb hub (6v) is enough to keep it going.
Mac OS X
Macbook alu 2008
U46MKII
DJM-400
Technics SL-1210
Akai MPD24
Cross 1.7.1
alexbesht

Return to Community Support