Distorsion when playing real vinyls

Discuss technical issues with the community. Mixvibes staff provides no support on this board.
Forum rules
Click here to join MIxvibes on DISCORD https://discord.gg/gMdQJ2cJqa

Distorsion when playing real vinyls

Postby alexbesht on 30 Aug 2011, 23:20

Hi there,

So I hear distortion one some tracks (unnoticeable on some tracks, hard NOT to hear on others) when played offa real vinyl, and only when I’m using the U46mkII sound card. When I plug the turntable directly into the mixer, there is absolutely no problem.

I first thought it had to do with usb (not enough power, interferences and whatnot) but that’s not it.

My specs are visible in my info I currently use mixvibes 1.6.0 but I don’t even have to launch the program to encounter the problem…. I tried turning off wifi and all other programs, I tried changing latency rates, nothing changes. Is there something I can do with the card’s drivers ? I have a mac.

I tried turning limiter on/off as someone advised me to. Didn’t change anything.

What’s troubling me is that I tried out 2 different cartridges. One is a shure m 44 7, famous for its high output. And the other one is an older stanton trackmaster II sk. You can hear a lot more distorsion when using the shure. That leaves me thinking this has to do with some kind of signal going from the turntable to the soundcard that is too high/strong and makes it distort the sound. How could I work that out ? Has any one else ever experienced this problem ? I’m not too keen on buying a new soundcard !!

Cheers,

Alex
Mac OS X
Macbook alu 2008
U46MKII
DJM-400
Technics SL-1210
Akai MPD24
Cross 1.7.1
alexbesht

Re: Distorsion when playing real vinyls

Postby Blackbrook on 31 Aug 2011, 11:46

Hi Alex,

it would have been great if you would have choosen your already existing thread for asking again. But don't worry, I will reply in here.

Using different cartridges and hearing a difference in the sound I would suggest that it is a problem somewhere from the turntables to the audio interface.

Where do you have connected the ground? To the U46 or to your mixer? Please be aware that it should be connected to the U46!

What is choosen in Cross for your Inputs - Line or Phono?

Cheers,

Steve

P.S.: Please stick to this thread and ask further questions inside of this thread and please do not open another one again! Thanks!!!!
Viele Grüße,
Cheers,
A plus,
Steve

Winner Mixvibes 10 years DJ contest 2009

Blackbrook

Postby alexbesht on 31 Aug 2011, 12:11

Hi Steve,
Sorry about that duplicate thread thing. I will stick with this one.

I'm at a conference right now, but I will check everything is set up the right way. I'm confident it is though... otherwise the sound problems would be very different imo. Same thing with the ground, and that I know is correctly connected.
I think I will uninstall/delete everything and set it up again but I don't know how that could affect the sound problems. I still think its like a drivers problem. Do you know how that works on a mac ? All plug n play right?

Also, could you tell me how to get the dB details out of the audio parameters?

Thanks for helping
Mac OS X
Macbook alu 2008
U46MKII
DJM-400
Technics SL-1210
Akai MPD24
Cross 1.7.1
alexbesht

Postby Blackbrook on 31 Aug 2011, 17:21

alexbesht wrote:Do you know how that works on a mac ? All plug n play right?

Yes, plug'n play should be the way.

alexbesht wrote:Also, could you tell me how to get the dB details out of the audio parameters?

It is in your Cross preferences (Audio for Line or Phono) and Vinyl/CD for the dB values.

Thanks and good luck!

Cheers,

Steve
Viele Grüße,
Cheers,
A plus,
Steve

Blackbrook

Postby alexbesht on 31 Aug 2011, 17:29

Oh yeah that! I ll check as soon as i get home. but i think its on zero.vanyway how Could you explain the fact that the distorsion is here evwn wothout using Cross, just using the soundcard?
Mac OS X
Macbook alu 2008
U46MKII
DJM-400
Technics SL-1210
Akai MPD24
Cross 1.7.1
alexbesht

Postby Blackbrook on 31 Aug 2011, 17:34

IF so then I am with when when you say "driver error" or "audio interface broken". There must be something wrong. Can you try to completely remove the audio interface? I am not quite sure how to do this at a Mac - I am absolutely no Mac expert, let me call myself beginner, sorry! Or first of all try another USB port...not very effective but worth a try.

Cheers,

Steve
Viele Grüße,
Cheers,
A plus,
Steve

Blackbrook

Postby alexbesht on 02 Sep 2011, 01:01

Sorry, I didn't get a chance to reply before.
I checked and everything is set up the right way.
But I don't know how to remove the audio interface. Or do you mean just deleting everything related to the u46 soundcard and its settings?
Mac OS X
Macbook alu 2008
U46MKII
DJM-400
Technics SL-1210
Akai MPD24
Cross 1.7.1
alexbesht

Postby Blackbrook on 02 Sep 2011, 10:52

That's the point :'-( Because I am not Mac expert I can not tell you how to. In Windows there is the software list in the system preferences where you can uninstall the driver with a unistall program. For Mac I do not know how to. If there is no specific driver that was installed you can not uninstall it because it is a driver from the system.

Maybe there was an update that changed your driver? Or a system update that has changed something that your driver is using?

@MV Team: Can anybody with Mac experience help him? I am out of ideas and this is unfortunately not my terrain :-(

Cheers,

Steve
Viele Grüße,
Cheers,
A plus,
Steve

Blackbrook

Postby alexbesht on 03 Sep 2011, 22:46

I guess it might have something to do with system update... But I have no idea. And i'm the only one complaining about it so...

Yes Please Help Me!
Mac OS X
Macbook alu 2008
U46MKII
DJM-400
Technics SL-1210
Akai MPD24
Cross 1.7.1
alexbesht

Postby alexbesht on 06 Sep 2011, 14:47

Blackbrook wrote:
@MV Team: Can anybody with Mac experience help him? I am out of ideas and this is unfortunately not my terrain :-(

Anyone?
How come the only person who helps me isn't from the official team. It's not part of his real job but he's helping. I'm disapointed by the actual MV Team.
Mac OS X
Macbook alu 2008
U46MKII
DJM-400
Technics SL-1210
Akai MPD24
Cross 1.7.1
alexbesht

Return to Community Support