VCI-300 Glitch

Discuss technical issues with the community. Mixvibes staff provides no support on this board.
Forum rules
Click here to join MIxvibes on DISCORD https://discord.gg/gMdQJ2cJqa

VCI-300 Glitch

Postby djwcswing on 21 Dec 2010, 11:22

I noticed that when the cue/mix knob is turned to Master and then back to Cue on the VCI-300, you continue to hear on your headphones at a low level what's playing on your speakers even if the knob is back to the cue only setting.
If I use the virtual cue/mix knob on the Cross software only, this doens't happen.
Anyone else have this problem? If so, was there a correction for it or is this a glitch in 1.5?
djwcswing

Re: VCI-300 Glitch

Postby djwcswing on 26 Dec 2010, 03:10

Support acknowledged this glitch and said they will correct it.
djwcswing

Postby Support@MixVibes on 28 Dec 2010, 16:38

There is a bug, but it is not a bug from the software but from the MIDI sent by the controller. It is doing the same thing in both direction (inverted or not).
Support@MixVibes

Postby djwcswing on 04 Feb 2011, 19:27

I beg to differ! The Master Volume & Cue/Program knobs are controlled by the soundcard in the 300 so the software doesn't control it.
It is a glitch in the software since I don't have this problem when I use the VCI-300 with other softwares such as Traktor Pro or Djay. I'm not including Itch since it was designed to work with it. I have an email from MV customer service rep. acknowledging that this will be corrected in the next update whenever that is.
djwcswing

Postby Support@MixVibes on 07 Feb 2011, 13:11

I'm the MV customer service rep and yes I told you that (check the date) but afterward when checked with the dev, we see that the jump was caused by the VCI because with ANY other controller on the same function it doesn't jump at all.
Support@MixVibes

Postby djwcswing on 10 Feb 2011, 04:38

So what comes first the cart or the horse? Like I said previously, I don't have this problem with any other software except yours. This can obviously be corrected by your software if it works on other softwares!
djwcswing

Postby Support@MixVibes on 10 Feb 2011, 12:03

No matters how it is handled ?
Support@MixVibes

Postby sylMV on 10 Feb 2011, 12:06

Ok.

Here's the point:
1. In Cross we try to follow the MIDI specs/recommendations (http://www.MIDI.org).
2. Most of DJ MIDI controller manufacturers don't give a **** about these MIDI specs and just send what they want thru the MIDI interface.

Result: Some devices don't work well in Cross.

About the other pieces of software, in many of them, developers don't hesitate to mess their code up to fit some controllers whims, for free ! That's not our policy, as far as the mess is bigger than the gain !

To be a bit more technical, the VCi-300 uses some 14-bits messages. These messages are clearly explained in the MIDI specs. There are two ways of interpreting CC messages in MIDI:
1. the 7-bits one: each message (from 0x00 to 0x7F) is interpreted independently
2. the 14-bits one:
* messages from 0x00 to 0x1F are MSB (Most Significant Bits),
* messages from 0x20 to 0x3F are the LSB (Least Significant Bits) matching with the first group,
* messages from 0x40 to 0x7F are standard 7-bits messages.

The "monitor select" knob "is" 7-bits but uses the CC 0x19... This means it interpreted as 14-bits (following the MIDI specs), leading to erroneous values at range bounds.

Note that there's the same issue with most of the VCI-300 knobs, but it's hard to hear that you EQ bass gain (for instance) is not perfectly respecting the knob physical position...

Hope this is clearer for you!
But don't misunderstand me, I'm not happy at all that you can't perfectly use your controller with Cross. If we had the means to develop an app for each controller, we'd do it, for sure... I regret some DJ software companies (MixVibes too, I guess ...) started to accept incoherent MIDI implementations in the past, this has led to that.

Cheers,
SylMV

sylMV

Postby djwcswing on 20 Feb 2011, 18:11

Thanks for the technical explanation which is way over my head. All I know is if other software developers can work with the VCI-300, then why can't you?
djwcswing

Postby UncleVibes on 20 Feb 2011, 21:16

The answer is we can't patch for all very local specifics because the hardware doesn't respect common MIDI rules. We aren't Vestax OEM soft makers these one do what they can and have time to fit to some strange situations. Check our controller U-Mix Control Pro just released it's a full MIDI Controller made by Mixvibes with Cross DJ full inside, FULL MIDI compatible it works!
UncleVibes

Next

Return to Community Support