Buffer number at ESI U46 MK II v3.0 driver

Discuss technical issues with the community. Mixvibes staff provides no support on this board.
Forum rules
Click here to join MIxvibes on DISCORD https://discord.gg/gMdQJ2cJqa

Re: Buffer number at ESI U46 MK II v3.0 driver

Postby christiankoopmann on 08 Aug 2011, 17:34

rhopkins wrote:In terms of the buffernumber being high, in your opinion, would it significantly affect your ability to DJ well using Mixvibes, or is the impact minimal?

I'M not shure if I understand you correct but I have set it at all my systems to 4. When my old backup system is making drop outs at the music I set the buffernumber higher to 6 or 8 depends on the situation. It helps but you have to stop your audiodevice otherwise it will not be set to the new buffernumber. (the buffernumber is set at creating the audio manager so only at startup the device it can be set!)

To the higher or smaler number I didn't realised a difference while playing with vinyl or timecode control. How it effects I can't say currently. I will check this at the weekend if there is a difference at 4 or 8 as the buffernumber.
I also can't say how the driver from ESI or MixVibes is written so I can only say what I know from developing drivers for linux and windows.

But generally I can say that a higher buffernumber will decrease the drop outs at lower systems and high used systems (if the CPU and disk usage is very high while playing with MixVibes software).

regards
Christian
February 2012 Mixvibes DJ of the Month
DVS 7, Cross (DJ), U-Mix Remote App (iPad & iPhone App)

MEMBER OF:
:cool: c00l People MV Society :cool:
christiankoopmann

Postby rhopkins on 08 Aug 2011, 17:40

j-kut wrote:Scientific fun facts ;)

Any System-Latency under 9ms (from you touching the vinyl to sound in your headphones) is excellent, cause your brain doesn´t recognise this short time-spans consciously. neither does mine btw :lol:

Up to 15ms is perceived sub-conciously, and you adopt within minutes.
(your brain tells your hands go a bit ahead,
Like when the monitors are a bit further away, and you hear the delay between PA and headphones)

Depending on what paper you read, 15-20ms is when you start to really feel it, and you just say "F*** it´s laggy as (word censored 2)!"

Very scientific! :lol:

But that's latency, I kind of get that. What about buffernumber? I'm not obsessed, honest, just interested!
MacBook Pro - 15" (Mid 2014)
2.2Ghz Processor
16GB RAM

U-Mix Control Pro 2
Cross 3.3.10
rhopkins

Postby rhopkins on 08 Aug 2011, 17:42

christiankoopmann wrote:
rhopkins wrote:In terms of the buffernumber being high, in your opinion, would it significantly affect your ability to DJ well using Mixvibes, or is the impact minimal?

I'M not shure if I understand you correct but I have set it at all my systems to 4. When my old backup system is making drop outs at the music I set the buffernumber higher to 6 or 8 depends on the situation. It helps but you have to stop your audiodevice otherwise it will not be set to the new buffernumber. (the buffernumber is set at creating the audio manager so only at startup the device it can be set!)

To the higher or smaler number I didn't realised a difference while playing with vinyl or timecode control. How it effects I can't say currently. I will check this at the weekend if there is a difference at 4 or 8 as the buffernumber.
I also can't say how the driver from ESI or MixVibes is written so I can only say what I know from developing drivers for linux and windows.

But generally I can say that a higher buffernumber will decrease the drop outs at lower systems and high used systems (if the CPU and disk usage is very high while playing with MixVibes software).

regards
Christian

Excellent, I will have a quick play around tonight and see if 1) My laptop (with it's dreaded i3 core!) can cope with a lower buffernumber and 2) if I can tell a difference.
2.2Ghz Processor
16GB RAM

U-Mix Control Pro 2
Cross 3.3.10
rhopkins

Postby Hannes on 08 Aug 2011, 18:12

rhopkins wrote:

Any System-Latency under 9ms (from you touching the vinyl to sound in your headphones) is excellent, cause your brain doesn´t recognise this short time-spans consciously. neither does mine btw :lol:

Like when the monitors are a bit further away, and you hear the delay between PA and headphones)

Depending on what paper you read, 15-20ms is when you start to really feel it, and you just say "F*** it´s laggy as (word censored 2)!"

But that's latency, I kind of get that. What about buffernumber? I'm not obsessed, honest, just interested!

Buffernumber = part of your overall latency!

Overall-latency = Usb-Buffer (Buffernumber) + Samplebuffer + AI-latency (+ mixer-latency, if it´s digital).

Using the U46, 2ms probably will make a huge difference.

But I still wonder why you cant get lower with the sample-buffer....
June 2012 Mixvibes DJ of the month

https://soundcloud.com/han-nes-10/fridaybeatdown2ndedition
no support by pm

beta troll

Macbook Pro 13, late 2011, 6GB RAM, 480GB Crucial M500
Thudrumble TR-1S, Vestax VFX-1, ESI Maya USB+, Rane SL2
Hannes

Postby rhopkins on 17 Oct 2011, 23:59

j-kut wrote:
rhopkins wrote:

Buffernumber = part of your overall latency!

Overall-latency = Usb-Buffer (Buffernumber) + Samplebuffer + AI-latency (+ mixer-latency, if it´s digital).

Using the U46, 2ms probably will make a huge difference.

But I still wonder why you cant get lower with the sample-buffer....

I've come back to read this for ideas to improve my situation and wondered, where you said "Using the U46, 2ms probably will make a huge difference." I wondered, was that a mis-type or did you mean that?

Second, "But I still wonder why you cant get lower with the sample-buffer...." - were you referring to BufferNumber or sample rate here? And on that subject, how much difference is there between 44000khz and 48000khz.

Leave the "4000 khz" answers please :rolleyes: :lol:
2.2Ghz Processor
16GB RAM

U-Mix Control Pro 2
Cross 3.3.10
rhopkins

Postby Hannes on 18 Oct 2011, 08:26

Hi,

1) I meant 2ms will probably make a huge difference in how direct the timecode feels.

2) I was referring to the samplebuffer, you wrote that you played at 144, from my experience 96 or 64 shouldn't be a issue on a 2nd Gen iCore.

3) The difference between 44,1 and 48KHz is not that big latency-wise,
but on most AIs there´s a significantly better sound.

But you must understand that latency and samplerate are directly proportional, so if you´r using 88,2Khz our overall latency will immediately be halfed if your PC manages to keep the sample buffer.
This also applies to hardware-latency (the AI itself)

(Samplerate is how often the buffer is read, so if you double it, the latency is halfed, as the double amount of samples is read in the same time, or the same amount in half the time ;) )

no support by pm

beta troll

Hannes

Postby UncleVibes on 18 Oct 2011, 09:31

You must be teacher in real life :cool: :up: :biggrin:
UncleVibes

Postby Hannes on 18 Oct 2011, 09:41

:lol: no,no. i´m on the other side of the room. :cool:

no support by pm

beta troll

Hannes

Postby rhopkins on 18 Oct 2011, 10:21

It shouldn't be an issue. But Windows seems to make it one.

Has there been anyone that has said they've run into problems with the UMix-Pro, Windows and icores?
2.2Ghz Processor
16GB RAM

U-Mix Control Pro 2
Cross 3.3.10
rhopkins

Previous

Return to Community Support