record cleaning?

Discuss technical issues with the community. Mixvibes staff provides no support on this board.
Forum rules
Click here to join MIxvibes on DISCORD https://discord.gg/gMdQJ2cJqa

record cleaning?

Postby John Wo_O on 03 Aug 2010, 16:30

hey guys,

I'm starting to have an annoying problem of sound being super distorted when the needle reaches between a third and half of the record. the playback gets really dirty and slow and it's fucking up my mix big time.

I believe this is due to dust or something like that but it is not that obvious (i.e. there is not like a layer of dirt on the record, they even look kind of clean actually)

if i move the needle back to the beginning of the record, the sound is clear again.

I might have an audio sample for you to listen to it but do you guys have an idea before I upload something?
John Wo_O

Re: record cleaning?

Postby Blackbrook on 03 Aug 2010, 16:59

I think that your thoughts are right: there has to be something wrong with the timecode. Is it a general problem or does it appear only at a specific record? Can you switch the sides to proove that it has to be the record?
If it appears with any timecode you are using and on both sides we have to think twice ;)

Greetings,

Steve
Viele Grüße,
Cheers,
A plus,
Steve

Winner Mixvibes 10 years DJ contest 2009

Blackbrook

Postby John Wo_O on 03 Aug 2010, 20:19

well this is where it kinda worries me.

I flipped the record and it did it again.

I tried with a spare timecode vinyl, so it's unused, and it it did it too.

weird :S
John Wo_O

Postby Blackbrook on 03 Aug 2010, 23:32

That's what I meant when I said "we have to think twice" ;) :) Now we have to :D

Did you change anything in your equipment, including new installed software, maybe new drivers installed? Has anything changed since it worked perfectly?

To me it still sounds that the timecode is wrong interpreted. First I thought that it is because of the records, but now we have to look at different locations. This is when the audio interface's driver comes into my mind. If nothing else helps you out you should try a complete reinstallation of both: software and driver. If so I recommend to install both into totally different locations i.e. was it formerly installed into C:\program files\DVS\ you should install it into C:\DVS\, same for the driver. This helped me out one day ;)

Report any problem you have and we try to find a solution!

Greetings,

Steve
Viele Grüße,
Cheers,
A plus,
Steve

Blackbrook

Postby John Wo_O on 05 Aug 2010, 15:18

well I did move everything around since I changed the desk. so that's one thing.

the other thing is that I tightened the tonearm up a bit. adjusted the anti-skate in the same time. that's pretty much it.

I'll try to do further test this week end since I don't think I'll have time before that.
John Wo_O

Postby Blackbrook on 05 Aug 2010, 15:22

John Wo_O wrote:the other thing is that I tightened the tonearm up a bit. adjusted the anti-skate in the same time. that's pretty much it.

Can you change this to the "default" ? As it has been before? Maybe the tonearm is not working correctly when it passed a specific angle?!

Greetings,

Steve
Viele Grüße,
Cheers,
A plus,
Steve

Blackbrook

Postby John Wo_O on 05 Aug 2010, 18:48

I'll give this a try as soon as I get a chance. thx for your input Steve :)
John Wo_O

Postby Blackbrook on 05 Aug 2010, 22:26

John Wo_O wrote:I'll give this a try as soon as I get a chance. thx for your input Steve :)

Always! Your welcome!
Viele Grüße,
Cheers,
A plus,
Steve

Blackbrook

Postby John Wo_O on 08 Aug 2010, 05:53

I kind of inverted the changes to the tonearm and it seems to be ok after playing with it during 10 minutes. more tomorrow...

edit 08/08: problem is gone.
John Wo_O

Return to Community Support