Cross - CRASHING

Discuss technical issues with the community. Mixvibes staff provides no support on this board.
Forum rules
Click here to join MIxvibes on DISCORD https://discord.gg/gMdQJ2cJqa

Cross - CRASHING

Postby Macgyver on 15 Jul 2010, 08:25

I'm back this time to talk about a new problem that I'm experiencing with Cross. I have been receiving an error message in Cross that says something like

"Cross has encountered a problem and needs to close"

It seems that this problem usually happens while one song is playing and I attempt to load another song into the other deck.

The funny thing is there is no Crash Report or Log generated. Actually this problem has happened a few times this year already, and the last Crash Log that I have is from sometime in the year 2009.

I have looked at my Windows Event Viewer log & can see that Cross encountered an error. I have posted the links below to screen shots of the Windows Event Logs.

The soundcard that is being used is a Stanton Scratch Amp, connected by Firewire & externally powered.
The computer being used is a Rain Livebook L7
CPU: 2.5GHz Intel "Penryn" Core 2 Duo (T9300)

Hard Drive: 200GB SATA 300 7200RPM (16MB Cache)

RAM: 4GB DDR2 (Dual Channel - Matched Pair)

Display: 15.4" WXGA+ Widescreen (1280x800)

Graphics: NIVIDIA Goforce 8600M GS (256MB)

USB: 4 x USB 2.0 Ports

FireWire: 2 x 6-pin on PCI Express Card (TI Chipset), 1 x 4-pin onboard

Any insight on the errors that are listed in Windows Error Logs & the reason no Crash Log would be generated by Cross would be helpful.

Macgyver

Re: Cross - CRASHING

Postby Support@MixVibes on 15 Jul 2010, 10:37

Does this also happen with an other soundcard ?
Support@MixVibes

Postby Macgyver on 15 Jul 2010, 13:58

I do believe it happens with the u46mkII as well. I don't use the u46mkII very often but it did crash sometime last year, & I think the message was the same. I know the crash I am thinking about happened the same way, when a song was being loaded. At that point the song was off of some one elses drive so I couldn't be sure of the integrity of the file. So I figured it was just a bad file. Now I am not so sure.

After I reopened Cross, I would play the same files to make sure there wasn't a file problem. Files played fine after.

I will have to do specific testing with the u46mkII to check for sure.

***Also just as a thought, I am not sure a Crash Report or log was generated when Cross would crash due to the bad file that I posted about earlier

Does the windows event log tell you or indicate anything?
Macgyver

Postby Support@MixVibes on 15 Jul 2010, 14:05

Unfortunately no.
I asked so because the most often when Cross crashed on me it was a soundcard/driver issue.
Are you on a X86 or a X64 OS ?
Support@MixVibes

Postby Macgyver on 15 Jul 2010, 14:53

Should be X86.

One thing I was gonna change is the firewire cord but the problem seems to happen right after a file is loaded into the other deck, so I'm not sure if that would even help but I'd try it.

I've had sessions where there was no crash at all and then others where I have 1 (usually after 1 crash I don't experience another). Obviously 1 crash is 1 too many.

How can I determine if the cause is definitely a soundcard/driver issue? (just by testing with another soundcard?)
Macgyver

Postby Support@MixVibes on 15 Jul 2010, 14:55

Yes, try with the internal soundcard
or with asio4all instead of the oem drivers.
Support@MixVibes

Postby Macgyver on 15 Jul 2010, 19:47

So I think I've found something interesting, atleast with the Cross Crash log. I tested Cross with the bad mp3 file that I posted about last month or so (that one that crashes Cross). When you check the Crash log nothing is generated. I find this strange since Cross is crashing with this file isn't it? Then why is no Crash log generated.

It seems as if we can't rely on no Crash logs to mean that Cross Software itself didn't crash. So my question is exactly what kind of Crash will Cross keep a log of? Maybe the whole Crash Report is a false sense of security. I mean if you don't see a crash log then you might assume the software itself didn't crash, but in this case it is (with my test with the bad mp3 file).

Any thoughts, comments?
Macgyver

Postby sylMV on 16 Jul 2010, 10:44

Hi there!

A release version of Cross won't generate any crash report, because the crash reporter can't be added without performance loss...
Only beta versions generate crash reports.

However, windows has logs as you posted, but they contain hardly useable information...

Cheers,
SylMV

sylMV

Postby Macgyver on 16 Jul 2010, 13:29

sylMV wrote:Hi there!

A release version of Cross won't generate any crash report, because the crash reporter can't be added without performance loss...
Only beta versions generate crash reports.

However, windows has logs as you posted, but they contain hardly useable information...

Cheers,

oh ok interesting. I didn't know that. Thanks.
Macgyver

Postby Macgyver on 27 Jul 2010, 15:33

***UPDATE

Okay so I haven't gotten a chance to do any testing, but looking at the Cross 1.4RC download & the list of FIXES, I came across one that sounds exactly like what was happening to me.

FIX : Cross could crash on new track load.

I am hoping this will fix the problem & eliminate any crashing I previously encountered with Cross.

Unfortunately until then, Cross cannot be used at any LIVE events.
Macgyver

Next

Return to Community Support