stuck in CD-mode

Discuss technical issues with the community. Mixvibes staff provides no support on this board.
Forum rules
Click here to join MIxvibes on DISCORD https://discord.gg/gMdQJ2cJqa

Re: stuck in CD-mode

Postby djeksotik on 06 May 2010, 14:30

This has not happened anymore,
but another thing has. Im posting it here as i dont want to make so many topics.

I was juggling and messing around in relative mode, when suddenly one player went from relative mode to flexible, and started to play BACWARDS at 10 BPM (the track was 90 BPM originally). My computer is on a desk, and my decks are against the opposing wall. So when im mixing the computer is behind me 2 m, so it cant be keyboard shorcuts or something like that. Just suddenly one vinyl wasnt responding and a weird sound was playing so i checked what was the matter and discovered this.

I cleaned my needles, and the timecode quality went to 100 % quickly.
I dont know how much it was by the time i had mixed for a while. probably lowered as the needle got dirty.

But anyway, I can understand how dirty needles can cause BPM to lower but they shouldnt cause the mode to change from relative to flex and start to play backwards, as these things are not controlled by the vinyl in the first place.

I can post a screenshot etc if needed, but later.
djeksotik

Postby sylMV on 06 May 2010, 15:27

Hi,

the low bpm is not a clue, it only means when Cross switched to flexible mode, the instantaneous bpm was that low (during a scratch movement for instance).

The question is, why Cross did switch to Flexible mode....

Theoretically, Cross automatically switches to Flexible when it detects the Browsing track, or when it reaches the "last position" before the browsing track.
So, were you scratching at the end of the groove (close to the browsing track) ?

If not, it means the signal was bad enough to make Cross decode the normal timecode as the browsing one ...

If you can find a scenario to reproduce the bug, I'll be glad to try and find if something's going wrong in Cross.
For now, I know the probability to confuse browsing and normal timecode is very low...

Check you're not scratching close to the end of the groove and your signal (timecode quality) is not too bad.

Let us know if you've got some further info !

Cheers,
SylMV

sylMV

Postby Support@MixVibes on 06 May 2010, 15:37

When the switch mode happen it stay in the state where it was at this precise time (low backward for instance).
Support@MixVibes

Postby djeksotik on 07 May 2010, 12:54

Thanks for replies, that answers the BPM and backwards.

Anyway, I usually scratch and juggle on the end of the record, in order to not wear out the start first. So yes I was on the last split before the browsing track. I know that when the browsing track is reached Cross switches to flex, I checked but I was not on the browsing track and not very close, the needle was on the middle of the last split.

I switched back to relative, and played the vinyl and it continued to play very strangely. Thats when I cleaned the needles, but didnt check timecode quality unfortunately.

Ill let you know if I encounter this again.
djeksotik

Previous

Return to Community Support