my issues

Discuss technical issues with the community. Mixvibes staff provides no support on this board.
Forum rules
Click here to join MIxvibes on DISCORD https://discord.gg/gMdQJ2cJqa

my issues

Postby coolout on 04 Jan 2010, 20:57

I'm a full-time DJ and I bought the Ion Discover DJ as a complement to my turntables, CDJs, and DVS setups. I own at least 5 other MIDI controllers, but I've really been looking for a small controller that I could scratch without paying $500 for a Vestax.

I think the Discover DJ hardware is fine, my issues are with the software and implementation. Even though the IDD is marketed toward beginners it should, in theory, be a perfect portable controller for any level of DJ.

EXCEPT...

1. The scratching in Cross sounds bad...just plain bad...like really poor timestretching going through a cheese grater. When mapped to Traktor on the other hand, the scratch sounds fine. Of course the jog wheel size doesn't fit Traktor perfectly so there's bad sticker drift and start lag with that app.

2. There's no crossfader curve or reverse in Cross. These are things which are standard on every decent DJ mixer and would be easy to implement in software.

3. There aren't any mappings for the IDD in other Mixvibes software, so there's really no software upgrade path. Jog wheels are damn near impossible to program correctly using just MIDI learn. It would be nice if issues #1and 2 were fixed and then if someone wanted to add effects and a sampler they could just upgrade to Mixvibes Home 7.

Could a rep from Mixvibes or Ion please chime in on this thread and let me know if there are plans the address these issues...and soon before I return it and get my money back.

These are problems with the basic functionality that's keeping this from being a real DJ product and not just a toy.

Thanks.
coolout

Re: my issues

Postby hemskoc on 04 Jan 2010, 21:13

Love to hear from someone from Ion... :rolleyes:
Please Register software serial# before asking for help on the forum
(User Control Panel>Profile>Serial#)

ASUS i7 ROG G51,4G ram
Samsung 256gSSD +320g Dual HD's
Edirol FA66 FWire @ 48.kHz + U46 MK2
U-Mix Control Pro 2
Korg PadKontrol
Numark DXM06
Technics 1200 mkII X 2
Ortofon Digiscratch carts
Tapco Thump Powered Monitors
HD 25 cans

MEMBER OF:
:cool: c00l People MV Society :cool:
hemskoc

Postby UncleVibes on 04 Jan 2010, 22:03

These are problems with the basic functionality that's keeping this from being a real DJ product and not just a toy.

99€ controller with a full DJ software?
UncleVibes

Postby daniel clark on 05 Jan 2010, 01:34

:cool: :cool: trying to read this and not talk negitive,these statment point out that something has been missed,,possibly the oppunity to fill a niche that is apparent,i think the main point is that the price doesnt matter, what truly matters is the result of the product sold,,weather being sold for 99 dollars of 200 ,if the product is supposed to function a certain way,then the best outcome is for it too, have been looking at options and the feed back from users give some insight of possibilities, still looking behind dark glasses :cool: :cool:
January 2012 Mixvibes DJ of the month
MEMBER OF:
:cool: C00l People MV Society :cool:

PLEASE REGISTER YOUR SOFTWARE...FORUM RULES
2014 dell XPS8700
intel core i5 4400@3.10ghz
12 gigs DDR3 ram
NVDIA GeForce GT635
Win 10 /64 bits OS
Realteck 7.1
Home USB sound dogle
Asus VE247H monitor
Logitec G-15 ser 1 gaming keyboard
U-Mix Control Pro 2
daniel clark

Postby coolout on 05 Jan 2010, 01:50

Amen...especially when it has nothing to do with the hardware, these are all software related issues that could easily be fixed in an update.

I already have Torq and Traktor and love both. This experience with Mixvibes isn't exactly winning me over right now.
coolout

Postby hemskoc on 05 Jan 2010, 04:02

coolout wrote:Amen...especially when it has nothing to do with the hardware, these are all software related issues that could easily be fixed in an update.

I already have Torq and Traktor and love both. This experience with Mixvibes isn't exactly winning me over right now.

I hear you mate. Sorry to hear your experience has not been a good one with Ion/Mixvbes. :( i used to use Traktor aswell as DVS, but then moved to MV products......
I would say 'Cross' using control cd's/vinyl is a totally different realm in comparison to using the 'Ion discover controller'. I think your expectations of the package might of been a bit higher than expected. ;) ...like even for a basic setup of s-r-to, you are talkin $400 mark...Traktor even with a MIDI controller, around the same at least. I understand these are not 'starting up' packages for DJ's, but what is a start up package? :confused:
In all honesty and fact, DJ'in is not a cheap 'sport'. 2 turntables+mixer aint cheap- and neither are 2x cdj's or MIDI controllers...and then if you go digital, throw in software, computer, (soundcard) :confused:
Dont think you would want to go out there and pump a set out using the Ion, would you? :eek:
Look im not pushing the MV thing, and i feel for you in that you thought you were gonna get more than you paid for, as ive had troubles with all sorts of software - i mean look at Vista? Its still f**k*d! (and it wasnt that cheap!)
Cheers
Please Register software serial# before asking for help on the forum
(User Control Panel>Profile>Serial#)

ASUS i7 ROG G51,4G ram
Samsung 256gSSD +320g Dual HD's
Edirol FA66 FWire @ 48.kHz + U46 MK2
U-Mix Control Pro 2
Korg PadKontrol
Numark DXM06
Technics 1200 mkII X 2
Ortofon Digiscratch carts
Tapco Thump Powered Monitors
HD 25 cans

MEMBER OF:
:cool: c00l People MV Society :cool:
hemskoc

Postby UncleVibes on 05 Jan 2010, 10:09

Amen...especially when it has nothing to do with the hardware, these are all software related issues that could easily be fixed in an update.

Explain clearly what are your wishes? What about the horrible sound... Is it with a mouse or with the controller.
It's not enough to say that just an update can clean the related issues...
Please give some short points we can test on our side...
UncleVibes

Postby coolout on 05 Jan 2010, 11:30

I thought I was pretty clear, but here goes:

There is a warbling/bubble/grating sound when using the IDD jog wheels in Cross. It has been documented by other owners and reviewers. It is not a hardware issue because it doesn't occur in Traktor (Traktor has a different set of issues).

In response to hemskoc, I don't think i'm expecting too much. I paid $150 for my Trigger Finger, $150 my BCF2000, $60 for my NanoKontrol, yet I expect the pads, LEDs, faders to work as advertised although it wasn't a $1200 Akai MPC ,$600 Mackie HUI, or $400 Novation Zero. Price shouldn't be an issue.

What's really at stake is both companies' reputation by the attention to detail and level of commitment they give to a product...even if it's "entry level"...actually especially if it's entry level. Fender makes $2000 guitars and also makes cheap guitars. Although it might not sound as good or have as many nice extras a $99 Squire strat is still actually playable. Right now I can't really use the jog wheels of the Ion Discover DJ correctly in any DJ app.

I guess I should also go ahead and admit that I've done a fair share of beta testing for different audio apps over the years. That's probably the reason I'm so fired up about this. I wonder who did the beta test/quality control on the Discover DJ package and said, "yep, that's good enough.", because it really isn't.
coolout

Postby Support@MixVibes on 05 Jan 2010, 13:10

It isn't supposed to be a scratch package as far as I know.
I can hardly imagine a 99$ device doing the same job as CDJ or a 1200.

The goal was to having fun even if you're a beginner and that goal have been reached. It has never meant to be a full time DJ (usually called a Pro) hardware.

What you get with it is also a cut down version of the software (no external control, only one MIDI device).

If you want to see the true power of Cross give it a ride with a TT or a cd deck.

It's like running a sport car with bicycle rubbers and not using it at it's full potential.

Don't blame the car, don't blame the rubbers, don't blame the guy that put those rubber on the car, don't blame the guy that test drive it...
Support@MixVibes

Postby UncleVibes on 05 Jan 2010, 13:19

but if it's possible to do better with the same hardware it will be done. Message received 5/5
UncleVibes

Next

Return to Community Support