Various bugs in VR 0.9.1

Discuss technical issues with the community. Mixvibes staff provides no support on this board.
Forum rules
Click here to join MIxvibes on DISCORD https://discord.gg/gMdQJ2cJqa

Various bugs in VR 0.9.1

Postby Quzar on 20 Oct 2009, 02:44

To start, I'm using Windows 7 RTM x64, and Vinyl Ripper 0.9.1 with the U-RIP22 device (line level w/ external amp).

When using VR I found a number of issues both as errors and what might be poor design. Here are most of them:

1) As in another thread, when choosing manual track splitting, it is not done correctly, with arbitrary 'close' times being chosen.

2) Manual track splitting is almost mandatory because track breaks are simply not detected. I tried a number of records ranging from pristine to heavily used, and I believe only one track break was ever detected. End of side loops were not detected either.

3) I was not able to reliably reproduce the problem, but when changing the sampling rate of the U-RIP22 via VR's 'Audio device options', it would not stay at 96kHz throughout a session. This should only change on exit.

4) The 'Devices' popup opened by clicking 'Audio device options' has no 'OK'/'Cancel' buttons, and can only be closed by 'x'. Maybe this is intentional but it seemed like an oversight to me.

5) Choosing flac in the encoding process does not allow for compression options like mp3(lame) does. Some devices that play flac prefer lower compression due to lesser processing requirements.

6) Options for multi-record albums should be present, especially for tagging concerns. It would also be good to be able to know what sorts of metadata tagging schemes are being used, especially as flac can use various.

7) One possible way to improve the track splitting would be to allow the user to input a track list with approximate times (or better yet, grab them based on the inputted name from freedb or a similar source). That way the program will be able to look closer at the areas where there 'should' be track splits. Another possible way would be to ask the user to cue up the ending track loop. As long as it has no sound recorded on it (as Pink Floyd's Animals does) then it would give a baseline for the noise level on a 'silent' segment.

Hope all that can help.

Edit: Forgot one problem. Somehow the track length indicator is off sometimes. On one LP that I tried ripping by the end of one side it told me the track was 42 minutes long, which is quite impossible. This may have to do with the fact that I was recording at 96kHz.
Quzar

Return to Community Support