Ableton Link Sync not on 1st beat of the bar

Discuss technical issues with the community. Mixvibes staff provides no support on this board.
Forum rules
Click here to join MIxvibes on DISCORD https://discord.gg/gMdQJ2cJqa

Ableton Link Sync not on 1st beat of the bar

Postby Beaker on 17 Apr 2018, 21:20

Hey,

I just purchased and downloaded Cross DJ for mac. I want to use with Ableton Link in LIVE (v10) and when I fire a loop in Ableton, it's always on the second on third beat of the bar.

Any tips on how I can correct this, I also own Traktor and don't seem to have this issue.

I'm assuming i've overlooked something?
Beaker

Re: Ableton Link Sync not on 1st beat of the bar

Postby Team@Mixvibes on 21 Apr 2018, 19:14

Hi Beaker,

Thanks for reaching out to us here at Mixvibes!

Unfortunately right now I believe that Ableton Link functionality in Cross DJ is not as functional as it should be, since it has not been updated since it was originally added.

I will test things out today to see if I can come up with a solution, but it might be the way that Ableton Link works in Cross DJ that is causing the problem.

I have brought this up with the team recently, to see if we can fix this and expand it's functionality, and will keep everyone updated if I hear back.

Adam @Mixvibes
For support requests, you can check out the FAQ and reach our support staff at this page.
Thank You!
Team@MixVibes gives no support on the forums including via PM
Team@Mixvibes

Postby Beaker on 22 Apr 2018, 13:24

Hi Adam,

Thanks for getting back to me. While I appreciate the reply, i'm a little concerned that your website is promoting Ableton Link as one of the main features in Cross DJ for Mac, yet it's not functioning correctly. This feature was/is one of the top reasons I chose your product, as I could have simply went to one of the big 3 knowing that LINK works with them (as many of my friends own Traktor).

Can you provide any sort of timeline for when this might be resolved? This will help me decide if I should seek a refund or not.

Thanks for the info and your help.

B.
Beaker

Postby Team@Mixvibes on 22 Apr 2018, 18:04

Hi again Beaker,

I definitely understand your concern, and most likely the issue stems from updates to Ableton Link after it was added to Cross DJ (I believe Ableton Link is on version 3 now and most recently added Start Stop Sync in Ableton 10).

Have you tried changing the Start Stop Sync setting in Live 10? I couldn't replicate your issue in Ableton 9.7.6, my loops always started on their first beat when launched, but my version does no have the Start Stop Sync setting.

From Ableton: "In Live 10 the feature "Start Stop Sync" shares Transport Start and Stop Commands between all Link peers that have the feature enabled.

It can be enabled, either in the preferences, or by alt clicking the Link button in the main UI. When Start Stop Sync is enabled the Link button will have a different colour than usual. The behaviour of Live being started or stopped remotely is the same, as if the command was triggered locally within a Link Jam: Live will start according to its local beat time, quantisation, and start marker position"

Or do you mean that the loops start on the second or third beat of the music coming from Cross DJ? I was able to have this happen and had to play with my quantize settings to get the loops to launch on time.

Since I am only the weekend support, I can't say for sure if or when this will be fixed so if you do decide to go for a refund please reach out to us at support@mixvibes.com

All the best,
Adam @Mixvibes
For support requests, you can check out the FAQ and reach our support staff at this page.
Thank You!
Team@Mixvibes

Postby Beaker on 19 Jun 2018, 14:00

Hi apologies for the late reply on this.

I'm still having the same issues, "Or do you mean that the loops start on the second or third beat of the music coming from Cross DJ?". Yes, this is exactly the issue. I tried changing my quantisation but with no success.

I've tried the same with Traktor and there are no issues and i don't have to fiddle with quantisation.

I think i may need to seek a refund, how would i best go about this?

Thanks.
Beaker

Postby Team@Mixvibes on 23 Jun 2018, 01:07

Hi again Beaker,

If you would like to go through with the refund, please send us a message at support@mixvibes.com with the email used to purchase or have the order number in the message.

If you want to try to get things working better, I have found that when I do have issues using Ableton link and Cross it is typically because the beat grid is off on the track playing. Sometimes the downbeat is incorrectly placed and that causes the syncing issue (since Ableton will wait until the downbeat for correct timing).

Let me know if you want to try to see if this fixes anything and need some help editing the beat grid.

Regards,
Adam @Mixvibes
Thank You!
Team@Mixvibes

Return to Community Support