Upgrading from an older version of Cross DJ

Talk about gear, music, shows or anything you'd like.
Forum rules
Click here to join Mixvibes on DISCORD https://discord.gg/gMdQJ2cJqa

Upgrading from an older version of Cross DJ

Postby DJ M1XV1BES on 07 Feb 2019, 16:36

Hello Everyone,

I really appreciate any help with this issue. I have an older version of Cross DJ (version 1.3.2). How can I update it to the latest version of Cross DJ. Another issue that I'm having is version 1.3.2 doesn't recognize my Firstmix controller.

Thanks....
DJ M1XV1BES

Re: Upgrading from an older version of Cross DJ

Postby DJ M1XV1BES on 07 Feb 2019, 17:37

Hello again,

I eventually was able to upgrade to the latest version of Cross DJ. Words can't describe the vastly improved differences between the older version and the newer version. If anyone is thinking about buying the new version, IT'S WORTH MORE THAN THE ASKING PRICE!

However, I can't get the new version to recognize my FirstMix controller. Any suggestions....
DJ M1XV1BES

Postby RoJeC on 08 Feb 2019, 02:07

Try using a differnt USB port.
Try reboot if the other port doesn't work after some minutes.

Be aware to restart Cross as it will only use controllers known by Win at startup of Cross.

After connecting wait like 2 minutes to give the controller time to install the driver.

And don't foregt to check if the controller has new firmware.
Ronald

Manual alternative link: ? https://www.mixvibes.com/wp-content/uploads/2017/10/cross-dj-user-manual.pdf
Audio dropouts? Increase audio 'buffer size' value.
FAQ iOS / Android / PC / MAC http://www.mixvibes.com/help/
Soundcard not available/working? Try the 32bit version of Cross (is also installed).
RoJeC

Postby DJ M1XV1BES on 08 Feb 2019, 11:27

RoJeC wrote:Try using a differnt USB port.

Be aware to restart Cross as it will only use controllers known by Win at startup of Cross.

After connecting wait like 2 minutes to give the controller time to install the driver.

I greatly appreciate the advice RoJec... and will let you know what happens....

This is one feature that Mixvibes should improve. Gemini no longer supports the Firstmix controller. Nevertheless, Mixvibes should offer updates for each controller that it supports. My suggestion is this: When clicking on a supported controller within the software settings, it should automatically go to the Mixvibes website and activate the controller with the software. Make it as user friendly as possible.

The Firstmix controller will eventually become a secondary controller. I don't want to spend $$$ on another controller without ensuring that I'm satisfied with the latest version of Cross DJ. To say that I'm "satisfied" with the latest version of Cross DJ is an understatement. The software is so user friendly that I can mix effortlessly without headphones and a controller. However, it would be nice to see how it performs with the Fistmix controller before I purchase a more expensive one.

My Ultimate goal is to use the U-Mix controller to control the first 2 decks and the Firstmix controller to control the other 2 decks. Since I'm on the subject of using 2 controllers with Cross DJ, do you know if this is possible?

In closing, it was a pleasure to read your post... and once again, your advice is greatly appreciated!
DJ M1XV1BES

Postby RoJeC on 08 Feb 2019, 12:56

Not sure if I understand you fully, but will provide some info/answers.

You can use upto 8 MIDI device with Cross DJ/Full.

If a supplier doesn't support a controller this merely impacts the audio driver. As MIDI doesn't use a driver. It communicates at a lower more technical level (of the ISO-OSI layers).

In Cross you do not select a controller but a midimapping for a controller. You will have to set your own wanted mapping. As you can have multiple mappings for the same device it would be very inconvenient if you would have to verify if the wanted(like previosly used) mapping is still selected.

Every available mapping works with every controller. However as every controller uses different commands (codes) for 'same' button (like 'play') it will not have the same result.

Especially with older type controllers you can be sure that the 'not working' is a problem that is not with Cross but with the way it is communcating with the OS.

- once working use the same USB port as changing USB port will trigger a kind of new install for that port.
- If you have multiple USB device at the same USB port (or internal USB host) these all together may use to much power to properly power the controller. In that case use differnt hosts or a powered USB hub (external HDD and controller at same host will not work; only for new conrtollers this may work)

Hope this sheds some light and maybe has all the answers you need.
Ronald

Manual alternative link: ? https://www.mixvibes.com/wp-content/uploads/2017/10/cross-dj-user-manual.pdf
Audio dropouts? Increase audio 'buffer size' value.
FAQ iOS / Android / PC / MAC http://www.mixvibes.com/help/
Soundcard not available/working? Try the 32bit version of Cross (is also installed).
RoJeC

Postby DJ M1XV1BES on 08 Feb 2019, 14:00

Don't know how to delete a duplicate post....
Last edited by DJ M1XV1BES on 08 Feb 2019, 14:09, edited 1 time in total.
DJ M1XV1BES

Postby DJ M1XV1BES on 08 Feb 2019, 14:06

DJ M1XV1BES wrote:
RoJeC wrote:Not sure if I understand you fully, but will provide some info/answers.

You can use upto 8 MIDI device with Cross DJ/Full.

If a supplier doesn't support a controller this merely impacts the audio driver. As MIDI doesn't use a driver. It communicates at a lower more technical level (of the ISO-OSI layers).

In Cross you do not select a controller but a midimapping for a controller. You will have to set your own wanted mapping. As you can have multiple mappings for the same device it would be very inconvenient....

I will try to explain my suggestion more clearly, but please allow me to give you a little background on myself: I'm a Virtual DJ Pro user. In fact, I've used that software since the company first started (I used PCDJ prior to switching). With Virtual DJ, I never had to map a controller because it supports so many. However, users have the option to map their own controllers. I never tried, so please excuse my lack of knowledge on this subject. Consequently, I greatly appreciate your contribution to this discussion!

What I'm suggesting is that Mixvibes has basic MIDI mapping that's specific for each controller (some have more buttons and features than others). Using the Firstmix controller as an example (a very simple controller): I had to type in the name so that the software would recognize it, but none of the buttons and features work. Also, a pic of the Firstmix controller was not provided in the controller list. Once I specify the controller, the software automatically downloads the premapped MIDI controls specifically for the Firstmix controller with my suggestion. I'm not sure if this is what you've already explained, but if you did please forgive my redundancy....

Once this is done, a dialogue box allows me to assign the controller to either decks A and B or decks C and D. For this discussion, let's imagine that I have 2 Firstmix controllers. When I connect the 2nd Firstmix controller, the software will automatically download the same premapped MIDI controls and assign it to the 2 remaining decks.

Moreover, the software will distinguish between both identical controllers by naming one Firstmix 1 and the other Firstmix 2. Therefore, in my example, Firstmix 1 would control decks A and B while Firstmix 2 controls decks C and D. No remapping would be necessary because the software has automatically distinguished between both identical controllers.

I hope that I've explained my suggestion more clearly... but like I've already acknowledged, I have never MIDI mapped a controller. Thus, I don't know if my suggestion is even possible. Nevertheless, I appreciate you taking the time to enlighten me on a subject that I'm unfamiliar with because the only issue I have with Cross DJ is regarding the FirstMix controller. It could be my fault that it's not working.

This discussion makes me feel like I've been a member here for a while. Maybe later I'll reveal why I've switched from Virtual DJ Pro to Cross DJ... until then I will attempt to resolve the controller issue....
Last edited by DJ M1XV1BES on 09 Feb 2019, 00:25, edited 4 times in total.
DJ M1XV1BES

Postby DJ M1XV1BES on 08 Feb 2019, 18:44

RoJeC wrote:Try using a differnt USB port.

@RoJeC... I did what you recommended and the software displays a pic of the FirstMix controller with another pic of a grey lock in a white box, which is to the right of controller pic. I assume that the lock supposedly should be open, but it's locked. Any additional suggestions would be appreciated because I've been unable to get this simply controller to work (Mixvibes should consider you for it's support team). I cannot switch from using Virtual DJ when I can't get one of the simplest controllers ever made to work with Cross DJ....
DJ M1XV1BES

Postby FigDJ on 08 Feb 2019, 18:57

DJ M1XV1BES wrote:@RoJeC... I did what you recommended and the software displays a pic of the FirstMix controller with another pic of a grey lock in a white box, which is to the right of controller pic. I assume that the lock supposedly should be open, but it's locked. Any additional suggestions would be appreciated because I've been unable to get this simply controller to work (Mixvibes should consider you for it's support team). I cannot switch from using Virtual DJ when I can't get one of the simplest controllers ever made to work with Cross DJ....

The grey lock only denotes that the code for the MIDI mapping is locked. This only means that you can't modify the original file. It comes to play when a user wants a custom MIDI map for an already supported controller. In that case the user clicks on the X2 button and the software creates a copy of the locked file that can then be modified.

As far as your controller being supported, the fact that it is present on the list means that it is in fact supported and the only thing that is required is that FirstMix controller is highlighted as the selected controller. (I am not in front of my Cross computer but I think it get highlighted in light orange)
FigDJ

Postby DJ M1XV1BES on 08 Feb 2019, 19:27

Thanks FigDJ.... However, the controller is highlighted in orange and a pic of the controller has an orange border around it. Unfortunately, none of the buttons activate and the jogwheels won't work... I can't figure out why..... I appreciate your response and will keep trying.

Edited because I could be doing something wrong. With that said, any additional assistance is greatly appreciated.....
DJ M1XV1BES

Next

Return to General Chat