Understanding Beatmatching with Cross help please?

Talk about gear, music, shows or anything you'd like.
Forum rules
Click here to join Mixvibes on DISCORD https://discord.gg/gMdQJ2cJqa

Understanding Beatmatching with Cross help please?

Postby mikehende on 11 Oct 2017, 23:46

Hey guys, I had written to Cross support for help a couple of days ago, no response as of this writing but I am willing to give this software a good shot so if you guys can help me understand this software would be nice.

I am taking this step by step form the start and following from the manual. Very first issue is analyzing the tracks. I am trying Cross Demo. I go to Files in left menu and navigate to a folder of music on my HDD, all files in that folder now showing in the playlist pane. I highlight all tracks and right click but not seeing the "Analyze" option. Looking at these instructions

Perform the following steps to analyze tracks:
1 Make sure that the Collection tab is opened in the Browser.
2 Select the track/s you wish to analyze.
3 Right-click the selection and open the Analyze menu.

Not understanding how to open the collection tab? When I click on the Collection icon or tab in the left menu showing on top of Soundcloud, this changes the folder of tracks in the playlist, help?
mikehende

Re: Understanding Beatmatching with Cross help please?

Postby RoJeC on 12 Oct 2017, 02:08

Files can only be analysed when present in the 'collection'. The Files menu is 'outside' Cross.

Easier than using the Files Node (at left) wuld be using Explorer and drag the root folder onto the collection. By this Cross will add all subs as well. If you have multiple 'roots' or want smaller amount, just add selected tracks by drag and drop.

Once listed in the collection the menu option for analyze is available.
Ronald

Manual alternative link: ? https://www.mixvibes.com/wp-content/uploads/2017/10/cross-dj-user-manual.pdf
Audio dropouts? Increase audio 'buffer size' value.
FAQ iOS / Android / PC / MAC http://www.mixvibes.com/help/
Soundcard not available/working? Try the 32bit version of Cross (is also installed).
RoJeC

Postby mikehende on 12 Oct 2017, 13:53

Cool thanks. After choosing Analyze All, should I then choose
Analyze Beatgrid/BPM only or would this already be covered with the Analyze All option please?
mikehende

Postby bigworm1063 on 12 Oct 2017, 21:24

It will be done in "Analyze All".
bigworm1063

Postby mikehende on 12 Oct 2017, 21:43

Thanks. Next, which sync option would you guys recommend for myself who wants to do more visual beatmatching beat, bar or cycle please?

Also not understanding just when you hit the Sync button, after the incoming tune starts playing or before the incoming tune starts?
mikehende

Postby FigDJ on 12 Oct 2017, 21:59

The following are my preferences

In preferences General Tab

Check for Sync Link

Having that option checked will allow for the BPM of a Player to follow the BPM of the master in real time.
For example
Player A is Master at 120 BPM
Player B is at 122
If you hit sync on player B the BPM will change to that of the Master to 120.

However, if you then move the Pitch control for Player A the BPM in Player A will change but Player B BPM will stay at 120.

With sync link enable the BPM on player B will follow the BPM in Player A.

You also have options to sync to the beat, bar, or phrase. 1,4 or 16 beats. I prefer beat.

I also tend to have beatgrids on on for all my players as everybeats is clearly marked in the beatmacher waveform.

There is also an option to place markers spaced every 32 or 16 beats. I also keep those on. My preference is 16. They also show in the overall track waveform in the deck.

Make sure you keep you Quantize and snap on turned on, you can choose 1/8, 1/4, 1/2 and 1 beat. I prefer to keep it at 1.

When starting a track, you can line it up and hit Play then immediately press sync or with all the options I just mentioned.

Line up the beat
press sync.
press play when ready and I will start on beat with the master.
To the starting
FigDJ

Postby mikehende on 12 Oct 2017, 22:13

FigDJ wrote:There is also an option to place markers spaced every 32 or 16 beats. I also keep those on. My preference is 16. They also show in the overall track waveform in the deck.

You mean press the SEEK button to 16 which left to the CUE at bottom of waveform?

Make sure you keep you Quantize and snap on turned on, you can choose 1/8, 1/4, 1/2 and 1 beat. I prefer to keep it at 1.

I am not seeing where those settings options are located?
mikehende

Postby FigDJ on 13 Oct 2017, 19:39

mikehende wrote: You mean press the SEEK button to 16 which left to the CUE at bottom of waveform?.

No. This is an option available in the Display tap of your settings. It just places visual markers on the deck waveform according to your selected preference.
mikehende wrote:I am not seeing where those settings options are located?

In version 3.3.4 they are located in the very top bar of your window around the center of the screen.
Snap ensures that when you place a cue or loop it snap to place it on the beat marker.
Quantize allow you to recall a locator point or loop without having to time it perfectly as it will wait for the next beat marker to perform the action.
FigDJ

Postby mikehende on 14 Oct 2017, 00:34

Appreciate it guys. next is the Match tab on the right, when I click on that it shows a couple or few tunes, does that mean the software is recognizing those tunes as a very good match to play next?

If yes then not understanding why the manual is showing?:

If you want Cross to take care of the tempo adjustment click the Match button on player B.

I mean what are the functions of the Match tab please?
mikehende

Postby mikehende on 16 Oct 2017, 14:16

Any ideas on the this Match function guys? Another thing that has me concerned is since Mixvibes tech support seems to be non-existant then what should happen if I should purchase the software and have some glitch and would need tech support?
mikehende

Next

Return to General Chat