going tandem with an XDJ-RX

Talk about gear, music, shows or anything you'd like.
Forum rules
Click here to join Mixvibes on DISCORD https://discord.gg/gMdQJ2cJqa

going tandem with an XDJ-RX

Postby leftsider on 12 Nov 2016, 07:34

Hi Mixvibes community,

After about a decade since I last did anything (and back then it was 100%vinyl), I bought Cross DJ android last summer and then for Mac earlier this year. It's been fun getting back my skill level and having some fun with after work bedroom sets.

My setup is super basic since I didn't want to drop cash until I was sure I wanted to get into it. I just use an A&H Xone:K2 (with slightly modified mappings) direct into my 11" Macbook Air. This is also SUPER portable so I love taking it with me if I find myself on a trip or in a hotel bored.

This week I caught up with a friend to talk shop and show gear. She's an actual performing DJ and has the awesome Pioneer XDJ-RX for home practice. She showed me how it works, I showed her my novel setup and we soon realized what we really wanted to do was play AT THE SAME TIME.

Her setup runs XLR out of the XDJ to an audio interface, then XLR out to some nice studio speakers which also had RCA inputs. I plugged into the RCA inputs on the back of the speakers but that overrides the XLR. So now I'm thinking options for getting us playing in tandem:

1. RCA > XLR cables into her audio interface. cheapest option but potential for issues: delay, splitting left/right, balancing levels separately.
  2. Two controllers in Cross??? This would be actually the cheapest ideal option because it requires nothing new. I've since found and imported mappings for the xdj from djtechtools (thanks to this forum for pointing me to that!) but I have no clue if/how the software would accommodate input from two devices simultaneously.
  3. buy a mixer. I'd be increasing my gear but it'd provide something we could both run master into while adding the flexibility of the K2 as a filter controller at home. If I go 4-channel, I can just run her outputs into the spare channels.
  4. Just tag teaming on Cross + XDJ. Use the XDJ-RX as the controller for Cross. I'd lose any comfort from hardware familiarity and she'd be clueless on the interface. No cost, but inconvenient.
  5. any other option I'm forgetting??? I'm hopeful someone here might have a recommendation or something has been invented in the last decade that I'm unaware of ;)

Thanks in advance!
leftsider

Re: going tandem with an XDJ-RX

Postby daniel clark on 12 Nov 2016, 19:26

:eek: not shure this correct ,,from experience ,,i use the U-Mix Control Pro and also a akai mpd18 ,,accuried a irig pad ,, the akai and i rig is used for sample control ,, by having all controllers connected and on line the duplicate control for the sample pads do not conflict and can either use the U-Mix to play samples or the akai or i rigs also ,, so my thoughts would be to connect the controllers and see if this is the solution ,, since you are trying to use MIDI control the audio interface should remain the same ,, :cool: i dont think can hurt to try :cool:

:eek: you might need to regerster the software licence key in your profile in the fourm ,, only can help :eek: :cool:
January 2012 Mixvibes DJ of the month
MEMBER OF:
:cool: C00l People MV Society :cool:

PLEASE REGISTER YOUR SOFTWARE...FORUM RULES
2014 dell XPS8700
intel core i5 4400@3.10ghz
12 gigs DDR3 ram
NVDIA GeForce GT635
Win 10 /64 bits OS
Realteck 7.1
Home USB sound dogle
Asus VE247H monitor
Logitec G-15 ser 1 gaming keyboard
U-Mix Control Pro 2
daniel clark

Postby RoJeC on 13 Nov 2016, 00:01

Adding multiple controllers is no problem. You can use 6 (or was it 8...) controllers at the same time with Cross.

Using an audio cable is pretty simple, but as you mentioned in real life pretty tricky. If you have an RCA at least consider using a groundloop adapter (or be sure to have it at hand).
Ronald

Manual alternative link: ? https://www.mixvibes.com/wp-content/uploads/2017/10/cross-dj-user-manual.pdf
Audio dropouts? Increase audio 'buffer size' value.
FAQ iOS / Android / PC / MAC http://www.mixvibes.com/help/
Soundcard not available/working? Try the 32bit version of Cross (is also installed).
RoJeC

Postby leftsider on 15 Nov 2016, 07:34

Thanks for the suggestions. I'm not sure how to find my serial but if that's the forum rules I"ll figure it out.
leftsider

Postby daniel clark on 15 Nov 2016, 12:32

leftsider wrote:Thanks for the suggestions. I'm not sure how to find my serial but if that's the forum rules I"ll figure it out.

the serial #is the licence key that you used to activate the software ,usaly found on the cd sleeve,, or given in a email if purched on line :cool:
January 2012 Mixvibes DJ of the month
MEMBER OF:
:cool: C00l People MV Society :cool:

PLEASE REGISTER YOUR SOFTWARE...FORUM RULES
2014 dell XPS8700
intel core i5 4400@3.10ghz
12 gigs DDR3 ram
NVDIA GeForce GT635
Win 10 /64 bits OS
Realteck 7.1
Home USB sound dogle
Asus VE247H monitor