XONE 23C Input Gain control?

Talk about gear, music, shows or anything you'd like.
Forum rules
Click here to join Mixvibes on DISCORD https://discord.gg/gMdQJ2cJqa

XONE 23C Input Gain control?

Postby 50nuttah on 08 Jan 2015, 22:27

Hi and a Happy New Year to you all,

I'm new here and was hoping someone could help me.

I have just set up my 23c for DVS with the full version of Mixvibes Cross 3.0.0 – My Only issue is, when a track is playing, I have to have the gain knobs on the mixer totally killed as when I turn them up, all I get is the sound of the timecode vinyl signal and no actual control over the gain. They appear to have no function at all.
Do I have a soundcard or software issue? Or have A&H intentionally bypassed this function via the soundcard, so the software has to be used for gain control?
Any help is appreciated.

Many thanks,

Mike
50nuttah

Re: XONE 23C Input Gain control?

Postby 50nuttah on 09 Jan 2015, 06:30

If anyone is interested; Some extensive googleing has lead me to believe A&H have intentionally bypassed the gains on the mixer, leaving the software to control this function.
My guess is a marketing ploy to sell K1 controllers.
50nuttah

Postby daniel clark on 09 Jan 2015, 07:49

:cool: dontuse t c myself ,, but read the manual explains the set up and usage of timecode ,, you have your audio levels set up wrong ,, if you are hearing the t c signal :cool:
January 2012 Mixvibes DJ of the month
MEMBER OF:
:cool: C00l People MV Society :cool:

PLEASE REGISTER YOUR SOFTWARE...FORUM RULES
2014 dell XPS8700
intel core i5 4400@3.10ghz
12 gigs DDR3 ram
NVDIA GeForce GT635
Win 10 /64 bits OS
Realteck 7.1
Home USB sound dogle
Asus VE247H monitor
Logitec G-15 ser 1 gaming keyboard
U-Mix Control Pro 2
daniel clark

Postby RoJeC on 09 Jan 2015, 12:10

50nuttah wrote:If anyone is interested; Some extensive googleing has lead me to believe A&H have intentionally bypassed the gains on the mixer, leaving the software to control this function.
My guess is a marketing ploy to sell K1 controllers.

My guess is that different ways of working require different hardware solutions.
Cross supports both internal as external mixing (all sound outputs at line level).
This is not related to getting familiar with setting up a new sound system. In this case most likely the monitoring of the inputs is not disabled yet, or tc is send at line level while input level is set to phono.

As I don't know the specific device it might be you have to change something within the device. Please check this in the user manual of the A&H.
Ronald

Manual alternative link: ? https://www.mixvibes.com/wp-content/uploads/2017/10/cross-dj-user-manual.pdf
Audio dropouts? Increase audio 'buffer size' value.
FAQ iOS / Android / PC / MAC http://www.mixvibes.com/help/
Soundcard not available/working? Try the 32bit version of Cross (is also installed).
RoJeC

Postby 50nuttah on 09 Jan 2015, 19:01

Thanks for your helpful replies, guys.
I did read the set-up procedures in both manuals prior to setting up, and as far as I know I followed this correctly, but being new to the digital world, maybe I've missed something, so i will check and recheck everything again for the about 20th time.

I found this info from a 23c review, but no mention of this in the manual....

"The first thing I noticed is that there is no knob for gain control of USB audio. In other words, the volume level for the active track is determined by software… but you have no way to control it on the mixer itself."
http://www.passionatedj.com/allen-heath ... iew-video/

Also this demo video, show that the gains on the mixer are not in use.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eUfvy780l64
Again, no mention of gains being bypassed in the A&H manual.
I believe purchasing a K1/K2 controller should allow me 'physical' control over the gains if I assign it to a knob via the mapping.

Regarding the timecode signal, when the gains are up, I agree this does not seem right and I will recheck my audio set-up as you suggested.
Just to clarify, the setup actually works perfectly when the gains are down and you cannot hear the timecode signal until they are turned up, so its not a massive deal, just rather puzzling.

I'm still learning about this digital/modular set up as I've been a 2x turntables and analogue mixer guy until now, so I thank you all for your information and words of wisdom.

Mike
50nuttah

Postby discopex on 09 Jan 2015, 20:32

50nuttah wrote:Thanks for your helpful replies, guys.
I did read the set-up procedures in both manuals prior to setting up, and as far as I know I followed this correctly, but being new to the digital world, maybe I've missed something, so i will check and recheck everything again for the about 20th time.

I found this info from a 23c review, but no mention of this in the manual....

"The first thing I noticed is that there is no knob for gain control of USB audio. In other words, the volume level for the active track is determined by software… but you have no way to control it on the mixer itself."
http://www.passionatedj.com/allen-heath ... iew-video/

Also this demo video, show that the gains on the mixer are not in use.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eUfvy780l64
Again, no mention of gains being bypassed in the A&H manual.
I believe purchasing a K1/K2 controller should allow me 'physical' control over the gains if I assign it to a knob via the mapping.

Regarding the timecode signal, when the gains are up, I agree this does not seem right and I will recheck my audio set-up as you suggested.
Just to clarify, the setup actually works perfectly when the gains are down and you cannot hear the timecode signal until they are turned up, so its not a massive deal, just rather puzzling.

I'm still learning about this digital/modular set up as I've been a 2x turntables and analogue mixer guy until now, so I thank you all for your information and words of wisdom.

Mike

Re: gain

My experience is that Cross software handles the track (pre-analysed) gains very well, I'd say well over 90% of tracks need absolutely no tweaking. On a rare occasion when I hear clipping or distortion I simply edit manually the file's dedicated gain. This is saved within the file so this one time tweak is enough.
Thinkpad X240, 8 Gb / 512Gb SSD
running Cross 3.4.3 64-bit
Allen & Heath K2, Pioneer DJM-450
discopex

Postby 50nuttah on 09 Jan 2015, 22:06

Thanks discopex, that's very reassuring to know. I've yet to put a decent amount of hours on the system, but I intend to in the coming days, so I'm sure things will then become a little clearer to me.

Thanks again,

Mike
50nuttah

Postby 50nuttah on 23 Jan 2015, 15:08

Hi All,

Just to confirm, I had this reply from A&H Tech support; hopefully this thread will help someone with the same questions in the future.

I have to have the gain knobs on the mixer totally killed as when I turn them up, all I get is the sound of the timecode vinyl signal
Mike

This is correct, but shouldn’t be a problem for you in practice;
PHONO and LINE analogue connections are fixed inputs to the 23C mix channels (1/3 & 2/4) with signal input levels from these sources governed by the corresponding input LEVEL pots on the top panel.
– to keep the timecode signal out of the mix, simply set the mix LEVEL for the corresponding analogue input to ’00’ (fully anti-clockwise) when using DVS.
And use the XONE:23C channel faders to set levels of the CrossLE deck outputs
50nuttah

Return to General Chat