Cross 3.20 and CDJ-850 - loading tracks makes music drop out

Talk about gear, music, shows or anything you'd like.
Forum rules
Click here to join Mixvibes on DISCORD https://discord.gg/gMdQJ2cJqa

Cross 3.20 and CDJ-850 - loading tracks makes music drop out

Postby roger_m on 25 Jul 2014, 07:33

I am having major issues when using Cross (I have updated to the latest version) with CDJ-850s. The main problem is that sometimes when I load a new track onto one of the decks, the other the audio drops out from the other playing deck, and I have to press the Play/Pause twice to get audio again. Another issues is that very occasionally the sound will stop when I'm not doing anything.

I have tried using different USB cables, but this has made no difference. Also, all of the drivers on my laptop are up to date.
I had the exact same issues with my previous laptop, which I though may of been due to having a CPU much slower than is stated for the minimum requirements, but of the course I am still having the exact same problems with a newer and much faster laptop.

I have in the past used Cross with Nexus-2000s and it worked flawlessly.

Because of the ongoing problems I'm experiencing, I've had to revert to using Numark's Mixtrack Pro controller instead of the decks. As a working DJ, I just can't have music dropping out, and I this does not happen with Mixtrack. However due to the terrible build quality of the Mixtrack Pro controller, I really need to get Cross working with the 850s.
roger_m

Re: Cross 3.20 and CDJ-850 - loading tracks makes music drop

Postby RoJeC on 25 Jul 2014, 08:54

Can think of some things.
1 increase latency. This could be a quick work around.

2 multiple processes taking the cpu capacity. This would typically be antivirus (and such). Try turning this off. If it helps you can exclude some folders like analysis and collection.

3 power saving. Could be not having max cpu. Hdd sleeping. Usb ports powersave.

4 other programs running
Ronald

Manual alternative link: ? https://www.mixvibes.com/wp-content/uploads/2017/10/cross-dj-user-manual.pdf
Audio dropouts? Increase audio 'buffer size' value.
FAQ iOS / Android / PC / MAC http://www.mixvibes.com/help/
Soundcard not available/working? Try the 32bit version of Cross (is also installed).
RoJeC

Postby roger_m on 25 Jul 2014, 09:54

1. I will give this a try but I don't think this is the cause. Why would the latency cause the track being played to drop out when a track is loaded onto the non playing deck?

2. This is not an issue. I don't have any software other than Cross with high CPU use.

3. My laptop is always running in high performance mode, but once again file to see how this is an issue for an already playing track. If CPU was an issue (which I don't think is the case anyway) why is the playing track dropping out?

I have just disabled the power saving feature for all my USB ports.

4. I only have Cross running. But, in the past on a less powerful laptop connected to CDJ-2000 Nexus's I've had multiple programs running alongside Cross - even a web browser with around 40 tabs open, and have had zero dropouts.
roger_m

Postby RoJeC on 25 Jul 2014, 10:13

Dropouts are generally latency (related) issues. Somehow the audio buffer of the soundcard is not refilled in time; usually because CPU is busy doing other things. This is the end result of a deeper cause.

The moment you load a track creates a peak load to the system. reading and writing, updating, caching, etc. So this is a 'normal' moment for CPU stress.

Don't you run any security software? Or maybe hdd autosync or some like that. Or basically anything that causes delay, not necesarilly CPU peak. Like AV not releasing a file before it is analyzed.

I am running Cross with 1.1ms latency on a 5 year old machine while doing lots of other things (not when performing).
Ronald

Manual alternative link: ? https://www.mixvibes.com/wp-content/uploads/2017/10/cross-dj-user-manual.pdf
Soundcard not available/working? Try the 32bit version of Cross (is also installed).
RoJeC

Postby roger_m on 25 Jul 2014, 11:11

I will try increasing the latency to see if that helps.

I am running Windows 8.1 and did have the included Windows Defender antivirus running, but have just disable the real-time protection. I can live without antivirus software, and I know that security software can cause problems even when it doesn't cause CPU spikes.

I have basically nothing else running - these is nothing else that could be causing any delays or interference. Having said that, on a past laptop I had I had many programs installed and often quite a bit running at the same time as Cross, and my Windows install was in far from the best shape as a result of installing and uninstalling hundreds of programs - and I had zero issue with the 2000s. However, I guess that is due to 2000s working better than the 850s.
roger_m

Postby RoJeC on 25 Jul 2014, 15:59

Guess audio latency is the first step. If this makes it go away it becomes more certain that it is a process causing delay or performance.
Not running AV wouldn't be that good. using a USB stick takes less than 1s to contaminate. internet connection just above a minute.

If you exclude the analyses folder, the collection folder and optional the program folder for Cross you have the same performance once having a running PC.

What would your specs be..
Ronald

RoJeC

Postby HawnSolo on 25 Jul 2014, 21:10

I also use CDJ 850s, though only in HID mode but I use my mixer as the sound card, and have never had this issue (I am also using OSX instead of Windows so that could create some differences).

It seems likely that the issue could have something to do with using the CDJs as an aggregate sound card.

I would suggest hooking up the CDJs as HID controllers and using the Mixtrack as the sound card, to see if you still have the audio drop out problems. If the problem doesn't occur with the Mixtrack, then my next suggestion would be to reinstall the drivers for the CDJs.

I haven't used my CDJs or Cross on my Windows 8 desktop, but may have time tonight to fire it up and see if I can replicate your problem.
HawnSolo

Postby roger_m on 26 Jul 2014, 09:23

RoJeC wrote:Not running AV wouldn't be that good. using a USB stick takes less than 1s to contaminate. internet connection just above a minute.

I know a lot about viruses and other threats and find it very hard to get infected, so for me having no real time protection is not an issue. But, it's not something I would recommend others try.

What would your specs be..

Core i5 M 560 @ 2.67 GHz
4GB RAM
Windows 8.1 Pro

Last night I double the default latency settings for CDJ ASIO and it seems to have mostly fixed my problems. If I'm loading extremely long mixes then I sometimes still get dropouts, but for the most part everything seems to be working fine now. I will try again tonight, and see how I go. At the start of the night when the venue if empty I tend to run with pre recorded mixes for a while usually around 20 minutes each. I will see if they cause any problems tonight.
roger_m

Postby roger_m on 26 Jul 2014, 09:25

HawnSolo wrote:I would suggest hooking up the CDJs as HID controllers and using the Mixtrack as the sound card, to see if you still have the audio drop out problems.

That's an interesting idea, and something I've never thought of. If I have any more problems, I will try it.
roger_m

Postby RoJeC on 26 Jul 2014, 11:51

roger_m wrote:I know a lot about viruses and other threats and find it very hard to get infected, so for me having no real time protection is not an issue. But, it's not something I would recommend others try.

Definitely not recommended; hard to buy a new PC when someone used cleared your bankaccount for you.
Working in Business Continuity/Crisis management for over 20 years and still amazing to see these kind of remarks. Might be I am troubled by having seen the impact both for business as private situations.

That being said
20 minutes is not long for a mix in Cross, even an hour or longer should not cause a problem.
Having analyzed in advance is recommended, mostly because other Cross functions also need CPU if you use them, which you likely don't when playing a preped mix.

try As hawnsolo recommended.
Ronald

RoJeC

Next

Return to General Chat