iOS Stuff

Talk about gear, music, shows or anything you'd like.
Forum rules
Click here to join Mixvibes on DISCORD https://discord.gg/gMdQJ2cJqa

iOS Stuff

Postby CJB on 04 Aug 2012, 13:47

Finally got myself an iPhone a couple of months ago (strange timing I know, but the deal was too good to turn down) and been having a play with some of the DJ software that's available, mainly because I've always got my phone on me and I can think of a few situations where it would be useful to be able to play a set off it for example in an unplanned house party.

That got me wondering about a couple of things Mixvibes related, namely whether or not the U-Mix Control Pro would be able to be used with an iOS device (I'm sure there was originally some talk of this with the iPad Cross DJ app but I'm not sure whether it was viable or not) and whether there'd be any Mixvibes DJ app for the iPhone (I will be getting an iPad at some point but not in the immediate future)?

Not sure whether an app would be worthwhile given the competition in that sector, or if it's possible to get the U-Mix hardware to work with iOS, but both are interesting thoughts - I look forward to hearing everyone's views and the team telling us whether it's actually viable or not.
CJB

Laptop: HP ProBook 640 G1 - i5-4310M 2.7GHz, 8GB RAM, 128GB SSD
Hardware: U-Mix Control Pro 2, Sennheiser HD-25
Software: Cross DJ 4

Soundcloud: http://soundcloud.com/cjbeale
CJB

Re: iOS Stuff

Postby Blackbrook on 04 Aug 2012, 14:02

I am no Apple/Mac/iOS expert, but as far as I know you can control Cross on your computer with your iPhone using the Cross DJ Remote App. I am not sure if it works with Windows machines in combination with your iPhone, but I think so. As far as I can remember christiankoopmann is using it, maybe you can send him a PM if he does not reply in here.
Viele Grüße,
Cheers,
A plus,
Steve

Winner Mixvibes 10 years DJ contest 2009

Blackbrook

Postby Jim B on 04 Aug 2012, 14:09

Blackbrook wrote:I am not sure if it works with Windows machines in combination with your iPhone,

Yes it works with a Windows Laptop/PC

Or you need to do is set up a Adhoc network and you will be able to control Cross/CrossDJ with you iPhone.

It's actually pretty cool ;)
Jim B

Postby gamierge on 04 Aug 2012, 16:24

Yep, it's pretty cool! I run a bar and I "play" Cross from my PC located in my flat on the first floor with Cross DJ remote, in the bar on the ground floor, with an iPhone. It works reallly well!
(a set of speakers in the bar are wired to the upstairs system)
gamierge

Postby christiankoopmann on 06 Aug 2012, 13:47

Hey,

both programs, Cross DJ RMT (for iPhone) and the U-Mix Control App for iPad are compactible with both OS types Windows and OS X.

The only thing you have to do is to setup a wifi connection between both devices. I prefere you to run direct connection between the iPhone and you Laptop. With a wireless router it can cause bigger latency.

I'm using both apps nearly every second weekend on gigs and works flawless ;).

regards
Christian
February 2012 Mixvibes DJ of the Month
DVS 7, Cross (DJ), U-Mix Remote App (iPad & iPhone App)

MEMBER OF:
:cool: c00l People MV Society :cool:
christiankoopmann

Postby CJB on 08 Aug 2012, 21:11

Thanks for the replies guys - will definitely give the Cross DJ Remote app a go, can see that being useful for the mobile type gigs I often do for friends (birthdays, engagements, etc) as I tend to mingle with the crowd a lot in them. Will remember to set up a direct connection too.

I probably wasn't clear enough with my original question (quite possibly something to do with being hungover at the tme!) - I was wondering whether there were any plans to release a standalone Mixvbes sfotware for the iPhone, along the lines of the iPad version of Cross or Algoriddim's dJay?

The other question was whether it would be possible to use the U-Mix Control Pro as a controller for the iPhone/iPad in the syle of Numark's iDJ Live, as I'm sure that was mentioned at the time the iPad version of Cross was released?

Sorry for any confusion!
CJB

Laptop: HP ProBook 640 G1 - i5-4310M 2.7GHz, 8GB RAM, 128GB SSD
Hardware: U-Mix Control Pro 2, Sennheiser HD-25
Software: Cross DJ 4

Soundcloud: http://soundcloud.com/cjbeale
CJB

Postby hemskoc on 09 Aug 2012, 04:22

CJB wrote:I was wondering whether there were any plans to release a standalone Mixvbes sfotware for the iPhone, along the lines of the iPad version of Cross

Think the limitations of screen size and finger size might limit the usefulness of such an app...you would have to have so many multiple screens :eek: ......just big enough on the iPad i think! ;)
Cheers
Please Register software serial# before asking for help on the forum
(User Control Panel>Profile>Serial#)

ASUS i7 ROG G51,4G ram
Samsung 256gSSD +320g Dual HD's
Edirol FA66 FWire @ 48.kHz + U46 MK2
U-Mix Control Pro 2
Korg PadKontrol
Numark DXM06
Technics 1200 mkII X 2
Ortofon Digiscratch carts
Tapco Thump Powered Monitors
HD 25 cans

MEMBER OF:
:cool: c00l People MV Society :cool:
hemskoc

Postby RobertCristofer on 13 Feb 2015, 00:38

I would recommend to use another platforms for app. I read an article on this topic - mobile application development platforms
RobertCristofer

Postby Stormcaller on 13 Feb 2015, 13:25

The standalone Cross DJ is showing as available for my iPhone 6, but not the remote.

I don't have it so I can't tell you how well it works on a small screen. I'd need to know if it synched to Cross at all before I'd consider getting it. If I could sync my library straight from Cross to it without having to use iTunes I'd immediately buy it because iTunes is horrible...
Stormcaller

Postby DJ Vintage on 14 Feb 2015, 11:14

Although I am a long time non-fan (putting it mildly) of iTunes -I consider it the worst thing to ever come out of Cupertino- I have recently switched to using it after some tutoring (and the Masterclass) from our friends at Digital DJ Tips. And (I hate to admit it) if you prepare your tracks mainly outside iTunes, then add them there, use a few of the things it actually does halfway decent, you can create some sort of DJ software independence.

I just sync my iTunes DJ collection (don't mix it with your "regular" music!) with all my devices (MBP for DJ-ing with Cross, iOS for DJay2 and my iDJ Pro on the iPad and whatever tickles my fancy on my iPhone.

Clearly cue points, beatgrids and such don't carry over, but at this point I don't think there is any software that does that in any kind of clever way. Traktor had a sync function with it's big brother, but that was cut shortly after the introduction of the iOS app.

Frankly, if I use my iPhone or iPad (without controller) for an impromptu party, I don't really care, nor does anybody at the party. They are usually happy that there is actually someone with the ability to throw together some tunes in a somewhat professional way, rather than just tossing on a playlist on automix.
DJ Vintage

Return to General Chat