Vinyl has been eliminated

Talk about gear, music, shows or anything you'd like.
Forum rules
Click here to join Mixvibes on DISCORD https://discord.gg/gMdQJ2cJqa

Vinyl has been eliminated

Postby compact on 09 Dec 2008, 16:03

'Vinyl has been eliminated'

In Jamaica, seven-inch singles are completely extinct; DJs have ditched their turntables. Will the digital revolution mean the end of traditional reggae? Dave Stelfox reports

http://www.guardian.co.uk/music/2008/jan/18/urban.popandrock1

Friday´s issue of the Guardian featured an article on the impact of the “elimination” of vinyl on Jamaican popular music.

Amongst other, author Dave Stelfox interviewed European veteran DJ David Rodigan on the current situation of the Jamaican music economy. Here´s some quotes that I think are worth being shared:

”[…] vinyl has been eliminated by the people who play the music to the public. The key players - and by that I mean the sound system selectors that people go to see every weekend, who can make or break a song - are no longer dealing with it in any shape or form and have all switched to CD. […]. This process has been gradual, but it’s now absolute.”

“The domestic Jamaican market for singles has been negligible for quite some time. Turntables are no longer available there and the home audience buys sound system mixtapes and DVDs of live shows and dances instead.”

“It’s a reflection of the economic realities in Jamaica that the emotional motivations of overseas collectors have for years propped up vinyl manufacture.”

With this changing, too, Dan Kuster, A&R of Greenseleeves Records, sees the whole process of promoting and distributing reggae music revolutionised:

“It’s got to the point that when producers say that a song has been released in Jamaica, they don’t actually mean that it’s been pressed. They just mean that it’s being played.”

“Also, while the older people who listen to roots reggae may still want to own music, dancehall is pop music with a young audience that, typically, just wants to be able to hear it and is not concerned with being able to hold the actual record.”

In Jamaica, this doesn´t really affect artists as they still have the opportunity to earn money playing live shows and voicing dubplates. It really hits the producers though, who are “cut of Reggae´s economic loop”.

One of them, a very successful one, too, Jeremy Harding, therefore sees the need for changing from a quantity to a quality approach in order to survive:

“To get by, people are going to have to be smart,” he says. “They will have to take a longer-term view and this can be done by paying attention to things like artist development.”

And adds a very important statement:

“Whatever happens, though, reggae and dancehall will never go away. This is our culture so, as long as new generations of artists keep coming through and people want to dance to it, it will always have a future.”
compact

Re: Vinyl has been eliminated

Postby phadedvision on 09 Dec 2008, 22:00

I guess it'd be a good time to pick up some reggae/dancehall 45's before all the collectors grab 'em.
phadedvision

Postby UncleVibes on 10 Dec 2008, 10:45

I guess it'd be a good time to pick up some reggae/dancehall 45's before all the collectors grab 'em.

Fourty years & more of 45's and Lp's produced, that's a lot of records to collect!

In Jamaica, this doesn´t really affect artists as they still have the opportunity to earn money playing live shows and voicing dubplates. It really hits the producers though, who are “cut of Reggae´s economic loop”.

Jamaica is a big riddim factory, its a question of culture & it brings back royalties.
UncleVibes

Postby phadedvision on 10 Dec 2008, 11:21

UncleVibes wrote:Fourty years & more of 45's and Lp's produced, that's a lot of records to collect!

Hahaha, good point there Uncle.
phadedvision

Postby polocorp on 10 Dec 2008, 11:29

scary article, if even the jamaican selecta's are going digital what can you do ? Maybe launch a MixVibes Toaster contest wuith the best riddims... Actually a great project after our sampler contest which is coming up :mrgreen:
MixVibes PRO DJ TEAM

MixVibes Cross 2
MacBook PRO
CDJ-2000
DJM-800

http://polocorp.blogspot.com
http://Facebook.com/polocorp.music
polocorp

Postby abitmessie on 10 Dec 2008, 11:37

its the future people,,, i love my vinyl dont get me wrong but the abitly for producers to release tracks without distrubution assistance or people taking chucks of our dollars on the internet
means software like the loved mixvibes can and will take over!!
Producer 7.4, DVS 7.4, Cross 1.3.2,
M-Audio Quattro, U46mk2, Evolution UC33, LaunchPad Technics 1200sl Mk2 , Rane Empath, DDM4000
Windows 7 (Abits Build v2)

abitmessie

Return to General Chat