Booting XP from USB and running mixvibes off it..?? Anyone?

Talk about gear, music, shows or anything you'd like.
Forum rules
Click here to join Mixvibes on DISCORD https://discord.gg/gMdQJ2cJqa

Booting XP from USB and running mixvibes off it..?? Anyone?

Postby lazyellowing on 23 Aug 2008, 14:38

Has anyone had experience with booting windows off a usb drive and running DVS on it...its what my dad has suggested i do..

So when i want to use DVS i run it off usb and when i 'study' i unplug it and it'll run off laptop :) sounds like a good idea...but i'm worried it won't be very reliable/stable...??
lazyellowing

Re: Booting XP from USB and running mixvibes off it..?? Anyone?

Postby w.u. on 23 Aug 2008, 18:51

Yep, it a good idea. I am not sure it would works with current MixVibes 7 but I can tell we have tested it with Cross and shall works in the release.
w.u.

Postby lazyellowing on 23 Aug 2008, 19:26

I'll test it out and if it works put together a tutorial or something, if it doesnt then...it doesnt...but would be cool if you could just buy...mixvibes on a usb stick...and just plug into your laptop and run it off there...
lazyellowing

Postby abitmessie on 25 Aug 2008, 13:02

do you want to boot your Operating system from USB
this isnt the best idea unless you have a very very stripped down version of Windows, even then your RAM and CPU usage would be very hight not to meantion the USB transfer interfance your sound card would get!! you could do this with linux but you will have to wait for Cross for that, (even then it will be days of customization)

i truely doubt it will work there is registry hives that contain specific data about all applications installed on your PC

if you were able to this would be a big hole in the copy protection of the application Team can you comment on this and insure this hole inst there im sure its not but better to be safe
Producer 7.4, DVS 7.4, Cross 1.3.2,
M-Audio Quattro, U46mk2, Evolution UC33, LaunchPad Technics 1200sl Mk2 , Rane Empath, DDM4000
Windows 7 (Abits Build v2)

abitmessie

Postby lazyellowing on 27 Aug 2008, 04:09

Well running xp of usb can be done and works, i've seen it done before, running mixvibes off it may be heavy on resources but in theory would be a great idea. But. I have come across a refurbished pentium 3 laptop, its only 1.2ghz and 1gb ram, but if mixvibes can run on an asus eee this should handle it fine, its got nothing on it at all but a clean xp with sp2. Just wondering does anyone know how many times you can install mixvibes, as i've got it on this laptop, will be installing it on the pentium 3 laptop soon and in the future would like to install it on a better laptop when i have spare cash, was considering serato and a mac, but i'm sticking to mixvibes and have a feeling it may snatch the market from serato in the future..also i don't gig with mixvibes, i just use it to play with at home and gig with cds.but in the future when i have money for a good laptop will prob use mixvibes to gig..
lazyellowing

Postby N-deep on 27 Aug 2008, 10:15

lazyellowing wrote:Just wondering does anyone know how many times you can install mixvibes,

You can install MixVibes on 2 separate computers.
N-deep

Postby lazyellowing on 27 Aug 2008, 16:19

what about after that...can i not uninstall mixvibes and install it on another??

I have it on one laptop right now, i am going to uninstall it and install it on a clean laptop, then when i have money for a mac will install it on that. how would i do that? So in theory install it on a third computer, but i would be uninstalling the previous installations?

My laptops:

1) toshiba duo core 1.66ghz - first installation, but using it for university so uninstalling mixvibes and moving too laptop 2.

2) compaq pentium 3 1.2 ghz - second installtion, purely for mixvibes nothing else but xp and mixvibes.

and then later this year i intend to get a mac so would that mean i'd need to buy a new mixvibes!?
lazyellowing

Postby N-deep on 27 Aug 2008, 17:40

lazyellowing wrote:what about after that...can i not uninstall mixvibes and install it on another??

Of course you can. You can install the software on 2 separate computers at the same time.
N-deep

Postby lazyellowing on 27 Aug 2008, 18:25

Thanks :) but how would mixvibes know when i uninstall it to install again, would i have to submit like a config report or soemthing :S? Just wondering... thanks alot :)
lazyellowing

Return to General Chat