Serato Vs Cross - A no brainer

   Talk about gear, music, shows or anything you'd like.

Serato Vs Cross - A no brainer

Postby Activated Soundwave on 17 Feb 2017, 15:55

I decided I was going to have to use Serato until my controller gets mapped for Cross, what a bad idea that was,
I beat grid analysed my songs/tracks In serato, and I got shocking results from songs/tracks, a majority of this stuff I analysed had very rigid timing, Trance and Progressive and in Cross it got the vast majority correct. Yet after transferring a playlist over to serato the timing and analysis was horrendous, and it was even difficult if not impossible to manually set some of these that should have been oh so simple. analysis in serato in Catching the downbeat is often off and their is no reason really.

Also the it would often get the BPM/speed wrong and it was very difficult to manually sort these, On times serato will suffice, although I guarantee you too would also see a big difference, its not until you study the tracks in Cross and then compare in Serato that you realise how shocking Serato is at analysis, nothings perfect all the time, never the less :
"Shocking shocking shocking" Serato.
I guess in Cross we must trust ;) ;) ;) ;) ;) ;) ;) ;) :biggrin:
My mix page
http://www.mixcloud.com/SubJacent/

FAQ - http://mixvibes.com/faq/
Cross DJ user manual
http://www.mixvibes.com/wp-content/uplo ... manual.pdf

Sorry if I ever come across the wrong way,Its never intentionally intended, and I am Always approachable.

I do not use video at present so in my experience I only refer to mixing audio
User avatar
Activated Soundwave
 
Posts: 397
Joined: 03 Mar 2012, 15:36
Location: Almost manchester UK


Re: Serato Vs Cross - A no brainer

Postby lilin on 17 Feb 2017, 16:27

Thanks for your feedback !
User avatar
lilin
 
Posts: 250
Joined: 07 Apr 2008, 09:22


Re: Serato Vs Cross - A no brainer

Postby djreff on 18 Feb 2017, 00:04

Activated Soundwave wrote:I decided I was going to have to use Serato until my controller gets mapped for Cross, what a bad idea that was,
I beat grid analysed my songs/tracks In serato, and I got shocking results from songs/tracks, a majority of this stuff I analysed had very rigid timing, Trance and Progressive and in Cross it got the vast majority correct. Yet after transferring a playlist over to serato the timing and analysis was horrendous, and it was even difficult if not impossible to manually set some of these that should have been oh so simple. analysis in serato in Catching the downbeat is often off and their is no reason really.

Also the it would often get the BPM/speed wrong and it was very difficult to manually sort these, On times serato will suffice, although I guarantee you too would also see a big difference, its not until you study the tracks in Cross and then compare in Serato that you realise how shocking Serato is at analysis, nothings perfect all the time, never the less :
"Shocking shocking shocking" Serato.
I guess in Cross we must trust ;) ;) ;) ;) ;) ;) ;) ;) :biggrin:


Havent seen that yet...

Surely a set up problem...
DJ reff
PC intel PC intel i7 3770k cpu @3.50ghz 8 gig ram mix vibe cross- denon MCX 8000 controller, with more than 40000dance tracks
User avatar
djreff
 
Posts: 180
Joined: 01 Sep 2009, 01:53


Re: Serato Vs Cross - A no brainer

Postby Activated Soundwave on 18 Feb 2017, 14:21

Setup problem maybe, but in this case apart from the variations in the analysis ranges, I can not see what else it could be, I tried the two ranges that had the most baring on the Genre and still I could not Get the desired/ expected results, yet in Cross it was much more accurate by no means perfect all the time but still quite noticed compared with each other.

Thanks for your input djreff, I will not rule out any setup issue, but I did feel everything is as it should be setup wise.
It would be good by way of experiments if others could do some set list A/B comparisons out of curiosity ?

I am going to have to sort out a screen capture software, as In general I need to start being able to back up my finds, it would help alround to solve such things, and help keep debate on a even keel so to speak.
My mix page
http://www.mixcloud.com/SubJacent/

FAQ - http://mixvibes.com/faq/
Cross DJ user manual
http://www.mixvibes.com/wp-content/uplo ... manual.pdf

Sorry if I ever come across the wrong way,Its never intentionally intended, and I am Always approachable.

I do not use video at present so in my experience I only refer to mixing audio
User avatar
Activated Soundwave
 
Posts: 397
Joined: 03 Mar 2012, 15:36
Location: Almost manchester UK


Re: Serato Vs Cross - A no brainer

Postby catgoat on 20 Apr 2017, 20:55

just my 2 cents...

I use mixvibes for Video only, so i can't attest to it's beat scanning abilities, but When it comes to Serato, i have noticed similar things. I tend to have to babysit my tracks more due to songs drifting apart, even with the same BPM values on both decks and/or using sync. I mainly use VDJ (Mixvibes, Where are my NS6 and DDJ SR mappings? ;) for audio, and I have never even had to think about my beat grids. the few times they were off i was able to just use the TAP buttong to reset them instantly. Serato takes a few more steps to set beatgrids.

A lot of poeple would say "oh, your tracks are drifting? You need to set your beatgrids, bro!" As a mobile DJ, Beatgridding the amount of tracks i use would take months. With VDJ, i have never had to worry about it. I wonder if they don't put as much effort into their beatgrid analysys, they sure don't put much effort into optimizing their software for performance on lower end machines.
catgoat
 
Posts: 21
Joined: 27 Dec 2015, 22:33


Re: Serato Vs Cross - A no brainer

Postby FigDJ on 20 Apr 2017, 23:13

catgoat wrote:just my 2 cents...

I use mixvibes for Video only, so i can't attest to it's beat scanning abilities, but When it comes to Serato, i have noticed similar things. I tend to have to babysit my tracks more due to songs drifting apart, even with the same BPM values on both decks and/or using sync. I mainly use VDJ (Mixvibes, Where are my NS6 and DDJ SR mappings? ;) for audio, and I have never even had to think about my beat grids. the few times they were off i was able to just use the TAP buttong to reset them instantly. Serato takes a few more steps to set beatgrids.

A lot of poeple would say "oh, your tracks are drifting? You need to set your beatgrids, bro!" As a mobile DJ, Beatgridding the amount of tracks i use would take months. With VDJ, i have never had to worry about it. I wonder if they don't put as much effort into their beatgrid analysys, they sure don't put much effort into optimizing their software for performance on lower end machines.

I posted a full map for the DDJ-SR couple years ago. Just have to search for it in the forum.
Image
FigDJ
 
Posts: 1177
Joined: 22 Apr 2012, 16:03
Location: Odenton, MD


Re: Serato Vs Cross - A no brainer

Postby daniel clark on 20 Apr 2017, 23:50

:eek: catgoat and figdj ,, topic for the mapping for ddj st
viewtopic.php?f=401&t=32965&hilit=ddj+sr
not sure if its still there ,, :eek:
Image
Image
January 2012 Mixvibes DJ of the month
MEMBER OF:
:cool: C00l People MV Society :cool:

PLEASE REGISTER YOUR SOFTWARE...FORUM RULES
2014 dell XPS8700
intel core i5 4400@3.10ghz
12 gigs DDR3 ram
NVDIA GeForce GT635
Win 10 /64 bits OS
Realteck 7.1
Home USB sound dogle
Asus VE247H monitor
Logitec G-15 ser 1 gaming keyboard
U-Mix Control Pro 2
User avatar
daniel clark
 
Posts: 6602
Joined: 31 Oct 2008, 00:01
Location: Charleston,S C


Re: Serato Vs Cross - A no brainer

Postby DJ Vintage on 22 Apr 2017, 10:24

I am a mobile DJ too. And use a lot of "hard to analyse/grid" stuff of course (all pre-drum computer times).

I have only checked my core collection for beat grids. The rest I don't bother.

The good thing about being a mobile DJ is that perfect beat matches are not expected (and usually not even noticed). So, I either beat match manually or use one of the many other accepted transitions (FX use, mic use, just blunt on the 1 swaps and many more).
User avatar
DJ Vintage
 
Posts: 358
Joined: 19 Jun 2013, 15:42
Location: Utrecht - The Netherlands


Re: Serato Vs Cross - A no brainer

Postby cacao on 15 May 2017, 01:32

THE GOOD THING THAT "SERATO" HAS BETTER THAN "Cross" IS THAT: THEY GIVE YOU THE ABILITY TO "CATCH" THE WHOLE FOLDER OF YOUR SONGS AND "DROP" IT INTO COLLECTION PLAYLIST FOLDER.
AFTER READING ALL FILES IN FOLDER ,"SERATO" IMPORTS ONLY THE NEW ONE.
IF YOU ARE USING THE SAME NAMES FOR DISC FOLDERS AND PLAYLIST FOLDERS,IT'S MORE EASIER.
MIXVIBES Product: Cross
Model Identifier: MacBookPro
cacao
 
Posts: 22
Joined: 03 May 2012, 01:04


Re: Serato Vs Cross - A no brainer

Postby catgoat on 05 Jun 2017, 03:46

FigDJ wrote:I posted a full map for the DDJ-SR couple years ago. Just have to search for it in the forum.



oh man i just saw this post! i have no idea why i never thought about that. i am definitely going the check it out!
catgoat
 
Posts: 21
Joined: 27 Dec 2015, 22:33


Next

Return to General Chat




Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 18 guests

 
 
   
 
© 2014 Mixvibes